Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid question i am sure but the other day i was trouble shooting some 277 punchbowl lights out on the floor and noticed that my ground and nuetral where bonded together at the panel. I dunno if it was something i had heard or read but i was under the impression that 277v wasn't supposed to be bonded. Is this true or am i just misinformed?

·
Master Of Disaster
Generator installs and service , temp and emergency power
1,777 Posts
Was it the first means of disconnect where the bond was made ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it is. Like i said i dunno if it was something i was told awhile ago or something i might have read that your not supposed to bond the nuetral and ground due to the high voltage. Everything in the panel with the exception of the 4 480v heaters is bonded to nuetral to ground. Maybe this will be something for the Myth thread from a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes it is. Like i said i dunno if it was something i was told awhile ago or something i might have read that your not supposed to bond the nuetral and ground due to the high voltage. Everything in the panel with the exception of the 4 480v heaters is bonded to nuetral to ground. Maybe this will be something for the Myth thread from a few weeks ago.
Not really myth, if its a service and first point of disconnect it needs to be bonded.
If its a SDS I bond in the transformer and egc/neutrals are kept separate in first panel/disco. Whether its 120/208 277/480 120/240 voltage doesn't matter. If you don't bond a 480v service, a 277v to ground fault could not trip the ocpd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts