Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bonding a footing or establishing a grounding electrode? One in the same I guess. If the footing meets requirements for an electrode it must be used. It's a grounding electrode system so all the usual rules apply just as if it were a water pipe electrode. No supplemental (rods) required though which is a bonus.
Yes that is, since this in waltham :laughing:

Ledge and rocks, it's a real mother driving rods here even with a big drill an rod cup.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
Thanks Don so I'll be needing # 4 copper, it is a 200 amp service.:thumbsup:
That's correct. #4 is the max one needs but you still have to use 250.66 as Don stated.

For instance a #4 to the concrete encased electrode is all that is needed for a 1000 amp service also.

·
Registered
317 Posts
To be clear, are you planning on running the #4 solid copper from the ground rod to the footing rebar, and then unbroken, back to your main panel on the structure to be bonded at the same bar that will have another unbroken #4 to the cold water bond? Just trying to visualize what you are talking about.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Lep- when I first started reading this thread i thought it was for a commercial structure. Once I read 200 amp service I assumed it was a footing for a pier and beam residence. Around here the #4 GEC would be required to be solid. If it were a UFFER ground it would be allowed to be stranded in #2 minimum. I brought up the solid #4 and quite possibly may have assumed too much. Apologies if I made things more confusing...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Don't forget to use a listed concrete encased ground clamp. The kind with the white tag on it.
Any grounding clamp rated for direct burial is also rated for concrete encasement.
From the UL Guide Information for Grounding and Bonding Equipment (KDER)
Ground clamps and other connectors suitable for use where buried in earth or embedded in concrete are marked for such use. The marking may be abbreviated "DB" (for "Direct Burial").

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be clear, are you planning on running the #4 solid copper from the ground rod to the footing rebar, and then unbroken, back to your main panel on the structure to be bonded at the same bar that will have another unbroken #4 to the cold water bond? Just trying to visualize what you are talking about.
I do not think they make # 4 solid, I have not seen anything larger than # 8 solid.

The inspector won't call for that I'm sure, however he will be there at 0900 and give me his opinion, so who knows.

But The article Don pointed out leads you all over Article 250 and you end up at the table 250.66.

Because of the fact it is a 200 amp service #4 copper will be required for the grounding system, the ground rod will not be needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.