Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a job 2 years ago that required motors larger then a certain horsepower or fla rating to have a separate 2/0 bonding conductor used and attached to the frame of the motor casing.

Cant remember if this was job site spec or code. Also cant find anything in the code could anyone help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
No code. Just a weird spec I've personally never seen or heard of

Edit: just noticed it was a Canadian question. I know your book even less than I know my own.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Don't think it's code, I've connected some damn big motors and they never had double bonding.

Thing great thing about electrical code, if it's not in the code book you'll spend your life trying to find it in the code book! :censored:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I used to service a water district that distributed water to farmers for rice and at all the pump/lift stations anywhere there was a motor, they were all bonded. Or grounded right their in the earth.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Did some big ones before that needed 2 grounds connected to them.. If memory serves they were all over 500 hp in a Class Zone 2 area..

Usually captured in a spec on a job..

·
Registered
385 Posts
I work in water and waste water industry and I see this spec. more and more these days. Not sure what this accomplishes but a lot of jobs spec any motor to have a 2/0 from the motor casing tied to the electrode system. Personally I think it's the new engineers just wanting as much grounding done as possible as a cya kind of thing. Many projects also spec. a gec to any electrical cabinet. Fine with me if they want to buy all that wasted copper.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've seen it on motors from 5-5000hp, I believe it has more to with area classification and seems to be spec on a lot of jobs, and I don't know if there is an actual code rule for it. Mostly in the oil/gas, fertilizer, and similar hazardous industries.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Alot of power generation station are like that in Ontario.
Helps to minumize stray "voltages or induced".

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Alot of power generation station are like that in Ontario.
Helps to minumize stray "voltages or induced".
Your signature is the bomb!

Pete

Reactions: greenman

·
Registered
127 Posts
I work in water and waste water industry and I see this spec. more and more these days. Not sure what this accomplishes but a lot of jobs spec any motor to have a 2/0 from the motor casing tied to the electrode system. Personally I think it's the new engineers just wanting as much grounding done as possible as a cya kind of thing. Many projects also spec. a gec to any electrical cabinet. Fine with me if they want to buy all that wasted copper.

I have also seen this at pumping stations. 2/0 copper connected to the frame of any steel cabinet then to the ground ring which in then connected to the ground electrodes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts