Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspector passed my panel change today but said he would like to see a ground wire from the water main to gas piping instead of a jumper from heater gas pipe.

I have always installed the ground from the panel to the water main and installed a jumper from the cold water pipe of the heater to the gas pipe that is next to the water heater.

This inspector says he would like to see a run from water main on street side to a new clamp or continue the main ground going through one clamp un-cut to the gas pipe.

How do you guys normally bond the gas pipe? Also do you jump from gas pipe to cold water only or do you also add another to the hot water line?

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,860 Posts
We always run from cold water line to gas line.

We have on a couple of occasions came from the panel to bond the gas line (whole house was pex).

We normally only go from cold water line to gas line but I have also run to hot water line as well if they changed the hot water tank and plumbed it with pex (copper hot water line won't be bonded because it's normally done through the hot water tank, with the pex, that's gone)
Inspector passed my panel change today but said he would like to see a ground wire from the water main to gas piping instead of a jumper from heater gas pipe.

I have always installed the ground from the panel to the water main and installed a jumper from the cold water pipe of the heater to the gas pipe that is next to the water heater.

This inspector says he would like to see a run from water main on street side to a new clamp or continue the main ground going through one clamp un-cut to the gas pipe.

How do you guys normally bond the gas pipe? Also do you jump from gas pipe to cold water only or do you also add another to the hot water line?
Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,018 Posts
Thankfully they don't make us bond anything on a panel changeout. Nothing is bonded around here except to only a few years old construction.

The gas kickout is often times on the other side of the house, and would be a nightmare to get a wire over to it. I will bond yellow CSST if it isn't, but nobody enforces it. I think I've only ever seen the water line bonded around here once, when we went under the house to cut that section of pipe out, where the clamp had caused it to rust through and spray down the floor above it!

New construction the gas pipe is bonded, haven't seen anyone run copper in forever, but I imagine they'd catch it on new.

·
Estwing magic
26,401 Posts
You never know if they will replace a copper water line with Pex. I like to come off the system ground.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,680 Posts

??? Don’t you love it when the inspector says “I’d like to see.....” even though it is not required by code?

I’d say “sure I will do that, but can you show me a code reference?”

What he is asking is what is done for building housing livestock.
Show him 10-406(4) which says to follow 10-406(2). it should be bonded as near to the consumer’s electrical service as possible. Running it to the water main is not correct, nor does it need to be connected continuously with the wire for the electrode.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You never know if they will replace a copper water line with Pex. I like to come off the system ground.

So you continue the ground wire from the water main, through the clamp to the gas pipe as one uninterrupted wire? This is essentially what he likes to see. I understand adding another clamp and taking it to the gas pipe but what he is recommending is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
???
I’d ask for a code reference. What he is asking is what is done for building housing livestock.
Show him 10-406(4) which says to follow 10-406(2). it should be bonded as near to the consumer’s electrical service as possible. Running it to the water main is not correct, nor does it need to be connected continuously with the wire for the electrode.

Thats the thing, it passed the way I did it but he said he likes to see it everything bonded in one continuous fashion. One uninterrupted ground wire from panel to water main, jump water meter and then up to water heater/ gas pipe and anything else that needs to be bonded to ground. That is insane.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,680 Posts
Thats the thing, it passed the way I did it but he said he likes to see it everything bonded in one continuous fashion. One uninterrupted ground wire from panel to water main, jump water meter and then up to water heater/ gas pipe and anything else that needs to be bonded to ground. That is insane.
Unnecessary for sure.

The wire used for grounding a service, and any bonding jumpers do not need to be continuous.

·
Estwing magic
26,401 Posts
So you continue the ground wire from the water main, through the clamp to the gas pipe as one uninterrupted wire? This is essentially what he likes to see. I understand adding another clamp and taking it to the gas pipe but what he is recommending is ridiculous.
No, I just tap off the system ground with a split bolt. What your inspector is asking for is overkill.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I just tap off the system ground with a split bolt. What your inspector is asking for is overkill.

This is exactly why I asked my last question. The inspector said he doesn't like the use of split bolts to pick up the gas line. :plain:
Good thing I will not be working in this guys jurisdiction much.

Things are getting to the point where I am working to the inspectors rules these days and not to minimum code. I usually go above code where practicable but sometimes they don't make sense.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,680 Posts
This is exactly why I asked my last question. The inspector said he doesn't like the use of split bolts to pick up the gas line. :plain:
Good thing I will not be working in this guys jurisdiction much.

Things are getting to the point where I am working to the inspectors rules these days and not to minimum code. I usually go above code where practicable but sometimes they don't make sense.
Common problem with inspectors, always has been.

Just say “sure I can do that, but can you show me a code reference that says I must?”
Then when he can’t, show him a code that says your allowed to do it the way you did. Proves you know your stuff and reminds him he does not make the rules.

·
Estwing magic
26,401 Posts
I get this sometimes in the 'burbs where the inspector thinks it's his own little kingdom. It's a fine line. You don't wanto argue with him but this time you're right and he's wrong. If he red stickers you, I would have no problem talking to his boss.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,680 Posts
I get this sometimes in the 'burbs where the inspector thinks it's his own little kingdom. It's a fine line. You don't wanto argue with him but this time you're right and he's wrong. If he red stickers you, I would have no problem talking to his boss.
And that is why they pass it, but then ask for something extra they would like to see. He knows it is not necessary. If it was an actual issue, and there was a code reference to back him up, he would not pass it

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,922 Posts
I run whichever way is the least material and or work to get it done. Normally from the water main to the gas line.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,639 Posts
When I can I will pick up the gas line with the #6 from the panel to the water meter.

But if it is not close I almost always use a jumper at the HWT. Ask him how he would like it the water line was plastic or us used a ground plate? A jumper at the HWT is the only reasonable approach.

Cheers
John

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,018 Posts
I just use the little burndy C clips on the ground to extend or connect to. Easy as a split bolt but the cable guy can’t take them off. I get them from the linemen, YC4C4 is the part number.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts