Electrician Talk banner

Bonding Plastic Casing

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  NacBooster29 
#1 ·
I had an inspector a while back that wanted me to bond the pool pump motor outer shell (plastic) ?? :eek:

Anyone ever run into this with an inspector ?

#9 ·
erics37 said:
Ah indeed, but what if it's a plastic cover plate for a polarized, non-grounding type receptacle, and there is no EGC present in the box? Then the trim screw doesn't do s**t :whistling2::laughing:
The only logical thing to do then is install a separate ground rod for each receptacle, exposed is fine but it'd be a better install to fish it into the basement and drive it in thru the sump pit..... At least that's how we do it in Chicago.

#10 ·
The only logical thing to do then is install a separate ground rod for each receptacle...
Yeah, but when bonding plastic cover plates you need to use a plastic ground rod and connect them with plastic wire; I always just drove a piece of 1/2" PVC and a jumper of monofilament fishing line. :whistling2:

-John

#14 · (Edited)
Don't forget to bond the water as well... (really).

(NEC) 680.26(C) Pool water shall have an electrical connection to one or more of the bonded parts described in 680.26(B). Where none of the bonded parts is in direct connection with the pool water, the pool water shall be in direct contact with an approved corrosion-resistant conductive surface that exposes not less than 5800 mm2 (9 in.2) of surface area to the pool water at all times. The conductive surface shall be located where it is not exposed to physical damage or dislodgement during usual pool activities, and it shall be bonded in accordance with 680.26(B)."

#20 ·
Jokes aside and as the Mod stressed elsewhere in this forum: EQUIPOTENTIAL is the keyword. It is not a question of whether plastic conducts electricity at 120V. In general plastic does conducts some electricity all depends how much of electricity you will apply - try a lightning. The point of bonding equipment in vicinity of the swimming pool is to keep everything at the same potenital. Of course the code may and I think does require that only metal objects be so bonded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.