Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just partially rewired someone's garage. They had some NMB cable running through a piece of EMT that wasn't connected to anything else. I am thinking I need to bond this piece of pipe. (It goes overhead to another garage behind the one I rewired. Gotta love the maintenance man.) Anyway, I am hoping I can just put a ground clamp on that piece of pipe and hook it to a ground wire in the closest electrical box. (The garage is powered by one 15A multiwire circuit.) I remember reading something about having to bond both ends of the pipe but I have no idea whether that was just a discussion or if it is somewhere in the code book.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It is the power for the second garage... it goes from one garage to the next... that's the way it was wired. The EMT is not connected to anything else, it is just a sleeve.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
in that case it would be a protective sleeve, the ground is in the nmb

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I just partially rewired someone's garage. They had some NMB cable running through a piece of EMT that wasn't connected to anything else. I am thinking I need to bond this piece of pipe. (It goes overhead to another garage behind the one I rewired. Gotta love the maintenance man.) Anyway, I am hoping I can just put a ground clamp on that piece of pipe and hook it to a ground wire in the closest electrical box. (The garage is powered by one 15A multiwire circuit.) I remember reading something about having to bond both ends of the pipe but I have no idea whether that was just a discussion or if it is somewhere in the code book.
Read, 250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s).

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
yeah, harry, i guess i wasnt paying enough attention. that does make it a wet location !:(

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll check that out when I get home (250)... there's a 7 foot piece of conduit going between the buildings and I ran uf wire through the conduit... it is only a sleeve and I'm getting the impression that a sleeve does not need to be bonded... I hope I have this correct.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Ground it anyway. It could become energized when the witches meet in Salem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.