Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Swimmer
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am referencing the 2014 NEC

For Power Limited Fire Alarm (PLFA) Circuits, 760.121(B) says "The branch circuit supplying the fire alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads."

For Non-Power Limited Fire Alarm (NPLFA) Circuits, 760.41(B) says "The branch circuit supplying the fire
alarm equipment(s) shall supply no other loads"

I have worked in several housing tracts that were originally built with fire alarms. None were on dedicated circuits.

These alarms were all of the type activated by a flow switch in the fire sprinkler plumbing.

What am I missing here? Are these common alarm circuits neither PFLA or NPLFA?

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
Non Power Limited essentially equals 120VAC bells triggered by a flow switch.

This circuit is integral to the Fire Alarm logic.... yet has full access to 120VAC. ( It's a legacy device. There was a time when such bells were powered by water flow -- directly. )

The intent of the Code is to stop folks from turning off the F/A system by way of un-powering it unwittingly.

·
Swimmer
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What NEC version were they installed under? The dedicated branch circuit requirement is a relatively recent change, either 2008 or 2011.

EDIT: It's the 2008 version.

Thanks Fishbulb. I'll look up the change in the change in the NEC. The newer homes may have been built before 2008. I'll make a note to check next time I'm in a newer home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.