Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,541 Posts
I would call the top a box extender and the bottom a handy box extension ring. Someone must have seen you working on a handy box

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
The top item - goof ring.

Bottom - extension ring/box, though we never use that small of a box here, that I can recall, for commercial work. I agree with Rollie's view on the subject.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone must have seen you working on a handy box
I wish that were true.

My boss has been out of the field for so long that because of changes in what is enforced around here, he is lost when it comes to material.

They seem to have just started enforcing the use of extenders where they should be required.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

·
cool cat
339 Posts
This is might be a stupid question but do they make a gasket style box such as a FN23 with a 3/4 reveal?I've been using arlington BE1 on outside walls and 3/4 tongue and groove paneling.Mostly T&M but it does cost an extra $1.00 per box.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,541 Posts
This is might be a stupid question but do they make a gasket style box such as a FN23 with a 3/4 reveal?I've been using arlington BE1 on outside walls and 3/4 tongue and groove paneling.Mostly T&M but it does cost an extra $1.00 per box.
Not sure what a FN23 is but I always use an old work box in siding

·
Registered
931 Posts
I thought Arlington made many thicknesses of the ring type extender, but I just looked and they only have 5/8" as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wish that were true.

My boss has been out of the field for so long that because of changes in what is enforced around here, he is lost when it comes to material.

They seem to have just started enforcing the use of extenders where they should be required.

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Thats why i use the adjustable depth boxes. Costs more but makes my life easier during trim out

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
If you asked me for a "box extender" I would tell you to call an electrician.

If you asked for an add-a-depth or extension ring I may hand you one of the two you pictured.

·
cool cat
339 Posts
A FN23 is a t&B single gang box with a gasket around the face airtite? which is required for boxes mounted for devices inside the house on outside walls .Required by energy codes in our area but cannot be enforced as of yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I call that an extension ring or an OSB ring

And I call that a box extender.

I'm just an apprentice though and people always tell me they want those two called different things xD

It's annoying :p But I've had pretty good results with the above terms.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.