Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many wires are deducted for a SP switch when calculating box fill? Wondering if I can have 3 (14/2) cables and a switch in a device box which is 3x2x2.5 or 12.5 cubic inches.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,239 Posts
How many wires are deducted for a SP switch when calculating box fill? Wondering if I can have 3 (14/2) cables and a switch in a device box which is 3x2x2.5 or 12.5 cubic inches.
You are allowed 8 #14 conductors.
you will have 2 marrettes in the box, so deduct 1 conductor.
Now 2 conductors for each flush device.
So you are therefore allowed 5 conductors-- you will have to use a deep box (1004)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are allowed 8 #14 conductors.
you will have 2 marrettes in the box, so deduct 1 conductor.
Now 2 conductors for each flush device.
So you are therefore allowed 5 conductors-- you will have to use a deep box (1004)
Would you deduct 2 conductors for a receptacle as well? As long as it is less than 2.54 cm? So GFI would be based on volume I take it.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,239 Posts
Would you deduct 2 conductors for a receptacle as well? As long as it is less than 2.54 cm? So GFI would be based on volume I take it.
As long as I can remember( too many code changes over the years), the max #14s in a 1104 or 2104, was 5 conductors, which allowed a regular device.
When the deeper receptacles (GFCI) came out, the extra depth made the need for 1004s.

Now, we use the pregnant boxes for all of our switches and GFCI outlets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts