Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install a receptacle in the roof area of a gazebo in a pretty odd location. It is tucked in a wood framed light soffit open on the top. This area as I understand the NEC is considered a damp location (the lowest point of the roof is lower than this box location) and not a wet location.

It seems that 406.9(A) is requiring me to use a box that is WP, so that would exclude any NEMA 1 type boxes. I would like to use something like this.

Am I looking at this wrong (in that I'm not allowed to use that box in a damp location)? If someone knows of a code section that states that box would be OK in a damp location, please let me know.

Thanks,

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just really tight and the mounting of the box I showed a picture of would be great. Thanks for confirming my understanding.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would this box be part of the structure, as in considered behind the finished surface?

~CS~
Not to give you the run around, but it is kind of behind the finished surface, but since the light soffit is open at the top it's not technically completely behind it. It's an odd situation (1st time for me).

Reactions: chicken steve

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,732 Posts
Sad state of affairs imho is that you must use a wp box. Just use a bell box if nothing else works in that location for you. Also the wp romex connector shown in the other post is perfect to meet the exceedingly overkill and not well thought out at all wording in the code requiring under markee roofs to be considered damp in the first place, and secondly making damp locations use wet location wiring is stupid as hell also. Unless it is truly damp, such as in a rainforest like Oregon, or maybe a house built on swampy land that sits up on stilts and it is always wet mud under that house. My point- a damp place ought to be really a damp place before it gets assigned that location determination, and not always any open area is called damp by default. Stupid code. Rant over.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sad state of affairs imho is that you must use a wp box. Just use a bell box if nothing else works in that location for you. Also the wp romex connector shown in the other post is perfect to meet the exceedingly overkill and not well thought out at all wording in the code requiring under markee roofs to be considered damp in the first place, and secondly making damp locations use wet location wiring is stupid as hell also. Unless it is truly damp, such as in a rainforest like Oregon, or maybe a house built on swampy land that sits up on stilts and it is always wet mud under that house. My point- a damp place ought to be really a damp place before it gets assigned that location determination, and not always any open area is called damp by default. Stupid code. Rant over.
I basically agree with you Mike, although this gazebo is over the intracoastal water way so I think being classified as a damp location is probably reasonable.

I'm going to try to get a plastic FS box in there (actually I'm handing it to the carpenter who did not build the light soffit to our agreed upon dimensions which is the reason for my problems). I was supposed to have 5" clear opening and I've got a 2.25" clear opening. I hate when people don't follow instructions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.