Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what others have done? On a cmu masonary wall we have 7/8" hat channel going up with 5/8" drywall to cover on a buildout. 1 1/2" total and we need to install receptacles on these walls. What type of boxes have you used so that this is a flush installation?

Shallow 4 square boxes are 1 1/2" deep so don't think that will work, looking for what you've done (other than put it in the masonary)

· Registered
122 Posts
Aside of knocking some block out behind, I would say some kind of surface mount install.

The shallow 1 1/2" cut-in boxes would likely fit depth wise, but are damn near impossible to get a device in with a 1/2 fitting in the top.

· Registered
2,218 Posts
Just curious what others have done? On a cmu masonary wall we have 7/8" hat channel going up with 5/8" drywall to cover on a buildout. 1 1/2" total and we need to install receptacles on these walls. What type of boxes have you used so that this is a flush installation?

Shallow 4 square boxes are 1 1/2" deep so don't think that will work, looking for what you've done (other than put it in the masonary)
As was said before, blow out the block behind the boxes if you are using 4" square boxes. If the customer/GC doesn't like it, tell them to build a real wall for you to work with. You will be faced with the problem of mounting the box as well. Bline brackets across two channels works. The standard bar hangers are out becaues they "steal" space behind the box and will not sit back far enough. If you can feed each device from the top individually, I just use a 1-1/2" deep, single gang handy box anchored to the block with plastic anchors or tap-con screws. They sit flush with the drywall.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RACO-Handy-Box-6XC56?Pid=search

· Registered
8,620 Posts
How many conductors can you put in it?

No more than one cable I bet.
The cable doesn't do any good without a device :)

These are sometimes used in these situations but (I think) they are not legal with a device.

One time on a remodel, I came upon a solid/poured block wall with 3 of these existing/wired and was able to get receptacles installed along with two 12/2's .:jester:

· Registered
4,174 Posts
They make XXXL sized single gang plates too.

I remember a couple of years back I was cutting a box into a kitchen island. Had tried using a Fein to do the job and all it was doing was burning the wood. SOB skipped on me and marred the wood up.

I had to use one of those super jumbo cover plates to cover my boo boo. SOB was HUGE. Looked like hammered **** to me.

No one else noticed. :laughing:

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all for suggestions. Just a note this is in a brand new ground up building. Maybe we should have put them in the block but we didnt so was just trying to get ideas of what everyone had done. Keep the ideas coming if you have them

· Banned
746 Posts
print out some nice quality pictures of wall receptacles with trim plates.

tape them to the wall where they are required per the prints.

hope no one notices prior to cashing the check.

I like pictures.

Reactions: electricdrummer
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.