Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
5,621 Posts
Never seen those before.I'm thinking though that they wouldn't be allowed in Canada.I doubt those kits are CSA approved.

I believe that the generator panel breakers also disconnect the neutrals ( 3 pole breakers)

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't have a problem with those, if you see what the home owners are doing now.
Turn off the main and back feed the panel from gen!
Just a matter of time before some one gets killed.
If the transfer switches were,nt over priced they might hire us to do it right in the first place.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So nobody has a code rule, ESA info/bulletins, etc on this stuff?
What about the Reliance Controls switches like the:
Reliance Controls TF151W http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?TF151W
31406CRK http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?31406CRK

I do know the neutral needs to be switched if you're using a neutral bonded generator (most portables are?).

ESA FAQ:
10-42-1
Question
I have heard there are different kinds of transfer devices that are required to be used with different kinds of residential standby generators, something to do with switching the neutral connection, can you explain?
Answer
Yes. The requirement for switching the neutral in the transfer device is dependant on the type of standby generator you have for your residence.
If the generator neutral is bonded to the generator frame then the Code requires the neutral to be switched in the transfer device.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If the neutral is bonded to the generator case where is the case bonded?
Seems like a stupid question but just think about it for a second.
Everything gets bonded to the main service panel. So what's the difference ?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
If the neutral is bonded to the generator case where is the case bonded?
Seems like a stupid question but just think about it for a second.
Everything gets bonded to the main service panel. So what's the difference ?
The case is bonded through the ground wire in the 4 wire cordset that connects the portable to the generator panel which is turn bonded to the main system ground. That bonds the neutral at the portable

Only explanation I can come up with......mostly because I'm too damn lazy to go any farther.:laughing:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Rollie73 said:
The case is bonded through the ground wire in the 4 wire cordset that connects the portable to the generator panel which is turn bonded to the main system ground. That bonds the neutral at the portable Only explanation I can come up with......mostly because I'm too damn lazy to go any farther.:laughing:
Exactly everything goes back to the main service ground were the neutral is bonded to case.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.