Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done troubleshooting a circuit that suddenly lost power. It turned out that the bus bar at the particular slot was not feeding power to the breaker. I tried several new breakers in the same slot and none of them would draw power. When I moved the breaker to another empty slot, I get power again. Is this most likely a corrosion problem? I'm just wondering if anyones seen this before and what the recommended fix is.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
It has to be either SEVERE corrosion, or the stab area of the bus has actually melted off. But if that were the case, I seriously doubt the breaker could have avoided damage. Did you look?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Whatever the issue is, it should be highly visible. I have the same question... did you look?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Since no one else has asked, did you look at the buss bar?

I had an employee a few years back who thought that just because there were knockouts in the panel, there were spaces available.

Calls me one day saying a 2 pole breaker was only getting power on one leg. I go check it out and he had installed the breaker at the bottom part of the panel. Problem was the buss bar ended one space up.

He never looked.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I responded to a call for "no power". The wire was landed and breaker in the on position. I took a reading on the breaker/wire terminal and read nothing, then voltage, then nothing again. A closer look revealed the screw that attaches the horizontal "finger" to the vertical buss was missing. Not loose, but missing. There is always a reason why. Now is your chance to find it.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Reactions: Speedy Petey
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.