Electrician Talk banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
What did he not install?
Five motor starters with overload protection.
I figure he took the company for about $5000.00 for the starters he didn't install.
Now after a storm that caused a loss of a phase, we have 5 rooftop exhaust fans with burnt out motors.
Also discovered the firestats were not wired up correctly, of course without a starter to wire them to, what do you do?
I know what you don't do.
He ran one phase of the 480 through the firestat which is only rated for 120.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Five conduit runs, five roof disconnects, five 3 pole breakers.
What did he not install?
Five motor starters with overload protection.

I figure he took the company for about $5000.00 for the starters he didn't install.

Now after a storm that caused a loss of a phase, we have 5 rooftop exhaust fans with burnt out motors.
Also discovered the firestats were not wired up correctly, of course without a starter to wire them to, what do you do?
I know what you don't do.
He ran one phase of the 480 through the firestat which is only rated for 120.

I hope you woke a full and complete report to the plant manager regarding the fan installation. That installation was nothin that could be considered an error, it was fraud, pure, simple.
Most states have a statute of frauds in business that allows TRIPLE damages. In other words, he would have to pay for all the damage and all the proper installation and then pay attorney expenses PLUS court costs, PLUS two times the actual damage.

A simple letter from the correct attorney would have sufficed to have full recompense including the cost of the letter. A copy of the letter to the state or county licensing board may have been enough to have an EC licensed pulled. Fraud is Fraud, most states do NOT allow someone convicted of fraud to have a contractor license.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,760 Posts
So much of this thread has focused on two pole breakers. Hey kids, there are three pole breakers also. And..... multiwire circuits using three breakers need a handle tie as well.. An identified one. 3 pole breakers aren't cheap. At least bolt on's . Handle ties are though.

·
Registered
14,448 Posts
So much of this thread has focused on two pole breakers. Hey kids, there are three pole breakers also. And..... multiwire circuits using three breakers need a handle tie as well.. An identified one. 3 pole breakers aren't cheap. At least bolt on's . Handle ties are though.
50 amp GFCI 2 pole bolt on breaker is $190, and it won’t be here until April.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
34,760 Posts
Well, the gfi part throws a whole nuther angle at the present subject, no getting around that. You should have called me first, I think I have a br one hanging around the shop someplace.......

Reactions: Majewski
21 - 36 of 36 Posts