Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I'm not an IT guy! Now with that out of the way I want to install a wireless bridge from my house to the shop. I can get a decent wifi signal from the house in the shop with the doors open. With the metal doors closed on a metal building signal goes away. I would like to connect a second wifi router wirelessly to the router in the house. Is there a quality plug and play antenna system that doesn't require a lot of computer technical skills to install? The stuff I've looked at appear to require some configuration for the network. The house is out in the boonies so I have a wireless internet connection. Speed is around 75Mbps download speed.

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
Walk in to Best Buy and talk to them.
Unless you need something industrial duty.
Is this outbuilding your hobby shed or your place of employment building spacecraft engines?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a shop for my personal use away from work. I plan to use the connection for cell phone data and a laptop or television connection like Amazon firestick or similar.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,842 Posts
I'm your guy for this.

First buy 2 Ubiquiti nanobeam radios. Put one on the house and one on the shed. They come with PoE supplies.

Then, buy a Ubiquiti access point. This one is the long range model.

Programing is something that is pretty straight forward with the included instructions, but I can help you with it remotely using TeamViewer.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,842 Posts
Oh some questions for you, the shed, if it's not weatherproof you have to use an outdoor access point. The one that I linked above the indoor only access point. And my advice I would be to mount a matching access points on the house. With an access point on the house and on the shed you can disable the SSID on your router.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Kevin. The outbuilding insulated and weatherproof.

Reactions: Kevin

·
Tool Fetish
944 Posts
I had the Geek Squad guys at Beat Buy supply and install outdoor antennas on my house and my office, across the street, 10 years ago. Still working good.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,721 Posts
Followed just fine right up to this point. I guess Google will supply an answer to what is SSID. :unsure: And why I would want to disable it.
It's the Wi-Fi identifier. The access point will be the Wi-Fi now ... so you turn off the one on the router.

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could get a simple outdoor router like this for your outbuilding, if you can get a signal outside already. Just one radio and link it with your house router, run a cable link into your outbuilding equipment.

Indoor/Outdoor airMAX® CPE

·
Super Moderator
7,404 Posts
Why pay for internet if you don't have to?
(I pay for internet)
Build a wifi gun!

·
Registered
340 Posts
If there is a decent signal already outside from the home wifi, you can just use one nanostation mounted outside. Been using variations of them for years, in homes, commercial and industrial buildings.

With two of them you can create long lengths, but only need one to receive an existing signal.

When I get back to the office, I'll see if I can attach some photo examples.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A few photos of older equipment installs and gear. These are outdoor WiFi radios/ routers, has a radio on one side and a wired port on the other side. They normally can be set up to broadcast or receive.

For the outbuilding example, set up the radio side to receive from the home router and the wired port to carry the internet inside the building. You add a Ethernet switch or router indoors to the setup to gain more wired ports and or another wireless network.

These outdoor radios are powered through the Ethernet cable, with a POE (power over Ethernet) injector power supply on the indoor end of the cable.

Many of these are older models, but very similar to the newer NanoStation M2, it just has a better radio, newer encryption types, different frequency bands and, and faster speeds. If interested download the instruction sheet from the link given above.

If you use two radios, properly mounted, aimed and set up, you can cover some serious distances. But for a home/shop setup one will normally suffice.

An old generation 1 Nanostation on a commercial building.
Wood Composite material Gas Rectangle Facade

Components of the Nanostation
Product Communication Device Gadget Adapter Adapter

Adapter Product Adapter Gadget Battery charger

Computer keyboard Light Peripheral Input device Output device

Computer keyboard Table Input device Peripheral Output device

Typical Home/outbuilding setup pre-built and configured before mounting.
Backboard with duplex and chord. Two power supplies one for indoor router/ outdoor router. Indoor router has 4 wired ports and a wireless connection. Mount the radio outside, install the Ethernet cable from outside to the inside board and connect your devices. Some menu configuration required, not hard for a network novice.
Computer keyboard Circuit component Passive circuit component Input device Peripheral

Industrial roof setup, similar but longer range.

Sky Plant Cloud Electricity Asphalt

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,386 Posts
I second Ubiquiti. The Unifi series works awesome.

If you prefer look at TP Link M5 also. Works very similar.

With either product you set them up and they automatically relay packets from radio to radio as needed. TP Link radios are more consumer grade in nature while Ubiquiti is more commercial grade.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lots of good information here. I did some research on the Ubiquiti stuff last night. Looks like quality. Thank you gentleman.

Reactions: MikeFL
1 - 17 of 17 Posts