Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who want to use a 10kw Briggs and Stratton home standby generator as the power for his remote garage where he stores his landscaping trailers ect. Theres no way to get power up there without having several poles installed to get service there so he just wants to go this route. Im just not sure if the generator will allow you to run it in the maunal setting without a transfer switch being present. I know that if theres a fault with the transfer switch the generator throws an error code and wont start. So if the generator sences that theres no transfer switch present, will it go into a error code? I've never tried this before.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have a customer who want to use a 10kw Briggs and Stratton home standby generator as the power for his remote garage where he stores his landscaping trailers ect. Theres no way to get power up there without having several poles installed to get service there so he just wants to go this route. Im just not sure if the generator will allow you to run it in the maunal setting without a transfer switch being present. I know that if theres a fault with the transfer switch the generator throws an error code and wont start. So if the generator sences that theres no transfer switch present, will it go into a error code? I've never tried this before.
How are you going to power the generator? Propane?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup propane. Hes currently using a portable gasoline generator up there which is wired to a panel running the lights, recepts and such. I want to save him a few bucks without installing the transfer switch panel and just use what he has existing there because there really is no need for the transfer switch. (no utility power present)

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I have an 8500 watt Briggs powered and I just pull the rope.

·
Registered
407 Posts
How are you going to keep the battery in the generator charged? I don't know about the Briggs units, but the Generacs have a circuit board in the generator that draws current and will drain a battery if a charger is not connected.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Generac's Ecogen 6kw is designed for this type of off grid use (it's 120volt but a 240volt kit is available). It uses an extra exercise time to keep the battery charged. There may be other brands that have specific off grid models that will do the job correctly.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Generac's Ecogen 6kw is designed for this type of off grid use (it's 120volt but a 240volt kit is available). It uses an extra exercise time to keep the battery charged. There may be other brands that have specific off grid models that will do the job correctly.
It should be very inexpensive to have a trickle charger built in to them and I am sure they are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know I didnt think of the battery draining while not in use. The custumer bought the thing before consulting with me first. I know he will be using it daily so I was hoping the battery would charge itself while its running as with a car or motorcycle. But true maybe the battery trickle charge works off the 240 volt utility sensing legs... This may end up being a headache trying to re-engineer this thing rather than him just buying the right thing. This is the problem when people have an idea, go buy something then say "Hey -make this thing work for me!"

·
Registered
27 Posts
It should be very inexpensive to have a trickle charger built in to them and I am sure they are.
Trickle charge needs a power source. The off grid model has a method of dealing with no power source.

Edit:

A moot point if the customer already bought the Briggs unit.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
That unit is most likely going to say that it's not for off-grid use.

Many of these generators are simply not made to run for long periods of time often.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts