Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Expert in Diagnostic Imaging Equipment installation requirements including back up generators
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I wanted to report on an error message received on a B&S model 076180 25KW standby generator.
Received the scrolling error message "Direct Power Remote Disable" on controller after hard reset (battery, power disconnect) and holding OFF key would not shut stop the scrolling display. This error message is not documented in any of the manuals (generator, T/R switch or Controller/user or installation) and I could only find 3 references to it in internet search none of which presented a solution.

After discussing with B&S technical support, it appears the issue is with the TX/RX and TXGND twisted pair cable. If this is shorted or shorted to gnd then the error occurs. This is suppose to be an interlock safety micro switch to protect utility workers when disconnecting incoming power such that the generator does not start.
Although it is not documented in the manuals there is a "clear remote disable" option in the advanced programming mode.

Check that this twisted pair is not shorted or shorted to gnd.

If you hold left Arrow/right Arrow and esc at the same time until "yes" appears. this is the advanced programming mode.

The "yes" will be blinking.
Hit the OK button.
Adv to the next item
come to the "clear remote disable"
press left arrow, esc, right arrow
should get place panel
start up in auto or manual mode.

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
908 Posts
If I understand this correctly you have a life safety device that can be disabled?

·
Registered
Expert in Diagnostic Imaging Equipment installation requirements including back up generators
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No sorry if this was not clear.
If you receive this scrolling error message then the probable cause is that the RX/TX line between the generator and the TR switch has an issue and is being grounded.
You must first fix the problem with this line.
However fixing the line will not clear the error.
On B&S generators you must go into adv programming and clear the error message after fixing the problem.
If you have not fixed the problem the error message will come back after you have cleared it.
Thus, life protection device is never disabled.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
908 Posts
Thank you for replying. The world is pretty wacky and sometimes things slip through. I may have not understood your words in the manner you wanted. Sometimes I am off the reservation with my understanding and interpretations.

I had an design engineer (EE) that wanted the Estop on the VFD's disconnected. I called the factory and they said no. The engineer insisted. The local sales guy for the company has known me for decades. He wrangled two of the head techs to come to my location and have a sit down with the engineer. They told him no. He said that he would find a MFG that would. They told him that they would loose their UL label for a non standard piece of equipment.
The engineer never could provide a reason that this was so important to him. We built the MCCS and installed the drives, with the Estops. I never did another job with the engineer again. I figured let his jobs be someone else's head ache.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts