Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Found this site and thought it would be a great place to get some information.

I'm British and currently living in California on my wife's work visa, I'm looking after my 2 daughters right now, but hoping to change that perhaps in the next year or so. I'm 29 and have a couple of years experience under my belt, I retrained from Computer Programming/Admin/Maintenance.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Hi John, and welcome to the forum.

You'll find our wiring not too much different than what you're used to in the UK, except that we don't use ring circuits and don't RCD the whole panel like you're used to. Other than that, electrons still behave the same way here.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Whats a ring circuit ? and RCD...?
Eh, they run the hot wire at a higher amperage all around the house and tap off it for the receptacles, etc, and have fuse protection in the receptacle or attachment cord. Sort of like we do busway in factories, only on a smaller scale, and they feed a ring circuit at both ends.

An RCD is a GFCI to us.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Eh, they run the hot wire at a higher amperage all around the house and tap off it for the receptacles, etc, and have fuse protection in the receptacle or attachment cord. Sort of like we do busway in factories, only on a smaller scale, and they feed a ring circuit at both ends.

An RCD is a GFCI to us.
Dude, you're so smart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts