Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to repair a 1" and an 1 1/2" pvc with conductors still in them. this is in a retail store. They are doing some plumbing and cracked two pipes jackhammering the floor. one is a crack about 8" long What kind of approved coupling can fix this please?

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
I have one question is that conduct is a short run or long run ?? and the only way it can be repaired right is ,..

remove the conductors then get a peice of PVC match to that size and grab the coupling but with the coupling here a trick get a rotozip or something and bore the ridge out and mark it about center of the coupling and slide in one end and slip in after both coupling in place then glue it then slide it fast to lock it in.

then get the conductors back in and retermaited again if there is no damage to the insluating materals.

Merci, Marc

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have one question is that conduct is a short run or long run ?? and the only way it can be repaired right is ,..

remove the conductors then get a peice of PVC match to that size and grab the coupling but with the coupling here a trick get a rotozip or something and bore the ridge out and mark it about center of the coupling and slide in one end and slip in after both coupling in place then glue it then slide it fast to lock it in.

then get the conductors back in and retermaited again if there is no damage to the insluating materals.

Merci, Marc
What about an expansion coupling?

·
Wyome
757 Posts
A few months ago on the web I saw a fitting or special coupling that might work in your case. Unfortunately I can't remember anything about it. But it seem like it was a sleeve that was split lengthwise and had means to bolt it back together once you had it in place. Cool, I thought at the time, but never pursued it. If I remember correctly it was described as being code compliant. I will try to find it again but you will more than likely have your job complete by then.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Conduit splice

I agree with Frenchelectrician I am filed the interior ridge out of coupling before but it only works on small cuts in PVC. :thumbsup:

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
I agree with Frenchelectrician I am filed the interior ridge out of coupling before but it only works on small cuts in PVC. :thumbsup:
If you aren't going to have an inspector looking at it...
buy a plumbers 'slip coupling' and save yourself the work.
(Just as illegal as shaving the ridge out of a gray coupling)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
If the conduit is still in one piece, but just cracked, I'd take a saw and split a length of the same size, then glue it over the crack. Old PVC gets cracked pretty easy and I've never had anybody turn that repair down. I always carefully clean the pipe before gluing it.

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
I've used the split duct conduit to repair 4" with 500s in it.
Night and day cost savings vs. pulling that stuff out.

Luckily the wires were not damaged.

Now i have two guys tell me the same thing and now i am conveted that this is the best way to do the repair to the PVC conducts :thumbup1: as long the conductors is not damaged that really will save myself alot of headache there.

Merci, Marc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.