Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, is there a lot of hassles with owning a bucket truck, such as safety inspections, maintenance, etc..? Been thinking about purchasing a used one.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Just curious, is there a lot of hassles with owning a bucket truck, such as safety inspections, maintenance, etc..? Been thinking about purchasing a used one.
Had one back in '75. Just took her straight out to the side and jumped up and down in the bucket to see if I could tip over the truck.

Probably they do more advanced testing stuff now days.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
There are tons of threads on this topic. It usually boils down to time being used. If you can keep that bucket in the air 75% of the time it's worth it. If it just sits most of the time don't bother. A truck with an extenda-boom is really useful. You can reach a lot more. 42' or so is a good overall truck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The 550 bucket truck is my full time truck(everybody knows I have one available),the tools are very easy to get to,the mileage isn't too hot,but I haven't fallen off an extension ladder since getting it! Versalift comes down once a year for the bucket assembly check-up and get it serviced at the local Ford dealer. It runs like a clock,so I keep it that way. It's a real asset and pays it way.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If a hose breaks, the bucket comes down really fast. At least that is what my father-in-law said (he was in the bucket at the time).

·
Registered
133 Posts
That may be ,but not near as fast as an extension ladder.

I doubt that it is a common problem.

He had delusions that he wanted to be in the tree trimming business. He went out and bought most worn out-out beat-to-death pile-o-crap bucket truck I have ever seen. :laughing:

Between his new found fear of heights and the sticker shock for the liability insurance, he called it quits after a couple of weeks.

·
Master Of Disaster
Generator installs and service , temp and emergency power
1,777 Posts
If a hose breaks, the bucket comes down really fast. At least that is what my father-in-law said (he was in the bucket at the time).
That's not a issue anymore , they have load checks on the hyd cylinders , you have to apply pressure in one direction to make the cylinder go the other , broken hose will have no effect providing the system hasn't been molested

·
Registered
15 Posts
we have (2) 60' double knuckle bucket trucks. as one of the other members stated, unless you have it up in the air 75% of the time, don't bother. with diesel at 4.30+/gal, repairs, maintenance, inspections etc it may not be worth the headache.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts