Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method do you guys use for building a new equipment rack on an existing slab? I've never been a fan of using strut for the verticals as the bases don't seem adequate to me and I don't want to add stringers or diagonal supports. If using 2" or 4" pipe, would a threaded pipe flange suffice, or will this get shot down because it's not listed for this application?

What have you done in your past?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
200 Posts
Why use pipe? Why not use like 2 or 3 or 4 inch channel iron or something and just weld a plate to the bottom to mount to the slab. That way you have a nice flat surface to mount the strut to. Just drill a hole and bolt the strut through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why use pipe? Why not use like 2 or 3 or 4 inch channel iron or something and just weld a plate to the bottom to mount to the slab. That way you have a nice flat surface to mount the strut to. Just drill a hole and bolt the strut through.
Thanks. No real reason, just going with what's in my wheelhouse. For welding, I'd have to involve other staff as we have very specific union rules, so it didn't even occur to me.

·
Registered
621 Posts
We use 3/8" by 1-1/2" or longer LDT type anchors. then depending on the install a factory made 12 or 18" 45 degree brace. We have also used a piece of strut to the top of the panel. As far as I know none of them have tipped over. A typical installation is a pump panel out by an irrigator where the wind never quits blowing until the corn is over 5' tall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We use 3/8" by 1-1/2" or longer LDT type anchors. then depending on the install a factory made 12 or 18" 45 degree brace. We have also used a piece of strut to the top of the panel. As far as I know none of them have tipped over. A typical installation is a pump panel out by an irrigator where the wind never quits blowing until the corn is over 5' tall.
Thanks, this is basically what I'm doing. Just need space for a small 120/240 3W panel, and a box for telemetry equipment.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
546 Posts
I have always gotten the verticals like the box stores use and bolt them down, back brace if needed. Around here there is ALWAYS someone selling off ware house shelving. Check it out and see if it meets you need

·
Vendor
Manufacture and sell labor saving channel strut products
11 Posts
We do this all the time the cheapest and easiest option ( depending on weight) is to use strut as your verticals and have a single channel post base. If you were mounting this into the ground I would say use pipe but as your mounting this to an existing slab strut is a better option. The channel base post is going to hold a- lot more then a pipe floor flange.

If you are looking to stick with pipe look into the Dakota pipe clamps we rated those for use in metal framing as we have customers who utilize that a lot for solar panel framing. The clamps are designed with locking barbs that keep the clamp from sliding so can be used for metal framing. Rigid Conduit Clamps - Dakota Systems

hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
The last ones I did I welded up 3x3x1/8 sq tube for the verticals with 2x2x1/8 for the horizontals. I used 6x6x1/2(or 8x8, I can't remember) base plates at the bottom of the 3x3 tube. 1/2" galv allthread epoxied into the floor with double nuts to level the stanchion/frame. I had the frames powdercoated.

These welded frames were considerably more rigid than the strut frames we've built in the past. We've always built strut frames with back-back strut for all the verticals/horizontals, but there is still a fair amount of movement when they are finished.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,339 Posts
I like to core drill then drop the post in and grout but that depends on a lot of other things like whats under the pad and if you own a core drill.
Cheap and easy is to weld a plate then spray with cold galvanised (if you own a welder.)
Last option is strut but that needs a little more room as it requires bracing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts