Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever work with BULLDOG type safety switch?

This is the type disconnects that are in a 1200 amp main switch gear that i am working on. There are (2) 400 amp switches, (1) 200 amp switch, and several 60, and 100 amp switches in a different section of the switch gear.

One of the 400 amp switches is not being used. I am hoping to utilize it. I need to add another distribution panel. I have never worked with safety switches of this type.

There is a latch, and the front door of switch opens up. I see (6) jaws. this is a 3 phase switch. I imagine i am to install (3) fuses at this location for my protection. I want to make sure that this ancient switch actually still works properly.

While switch door is open, i test the jaws the are inside. I get no reading of the voltage that is supposed to be present. I imagine that a set of (3) of the jaws should be giving me the voltage i need. but i have nothing. is this some type of safety feature? do you think that it actually still works?

It is like looking at a fusible disconnect switch. I would get readings at the jaws on my line side.

The safety switch says "BULL DOG, VAC-U-BREAK SAFETY SWITCH"

Any idea's

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
I have worked on alot of the old bulldog switches.
I'm guessing that you did realize that you have to turn the switch off before you open the door.

So, no, you wont have any voltage at the fuses with the door open.

·
Wire Ninja
20,984 Posts
FWIW, Bulldog disconnects have proven to be sturdy equipment, over time. Pretty much impossible to get parts for, though, if you need a new fuse jaw or something.

·
"Boozer"
696 Posts
Just pulled 6 old Bull Dog switches off and replaced them with new panels and disconnects. The ones we replaced were installed in 1956 and they were able to be opened with the handle on, and had no overide latch either. They were in excellent shape, but the owner has been replacing all the old switchgear in phases for the buildings 2500 amp service. We have completed the fire pump room, floors 3,4,5, the mechanical rooms, elevator rooms and still have to replace the main switch gear and 2 more floors. Everything in the place is pushmatic, GE and Bull Dog. Will take some pics of the mechanical rooms and some of the other equipment rooms on Monday.

·
Bilge Rat
7,023 Posts
The Bull Dog switches are just like any other fused disconnect. Except they have a picture of a bulldog on the label. lol.

In my experience, they're well made, and most still work even after years of use. Or non-use.

If possible, I'd de-energize the line side, open the door, defeat the interlock (if there is one), close the switch, and measure resistance from the now-dead line terminals to the top fuse clips using a micro-ohmmeter. Anything over 0.1 ohm would be bad. You're looking for low resistance across the switch contacts. If it's not low, it'll heat up under load.

Rob

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
No one can know how every switch works, but if you do not know how this one works ask another qualified electrician to work with you in testing it. You both could learn and be safe, as well.

·
Loaded Neutral
99 Posts
Bulldog Saftey Switch

Hey, did you ever get to use this thing? Did you figure out what type "modern" fuses to get? I have one just like it that has 70A fuses and I need 60A.

Attachments

·
Coffee drinking member
13,421 Posts
XCasper said:
Hey, did you ever get to use this thing? Did you figure out what type "modern" fuses to get? I have one just like it that has 70A fuses and I need 60A.
Shoot ,, it was an OLD posting. I got tricked into replying. :-(

Xcasper <change the links>

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Shoot ,, it was an OLD posting. I got tricked into replying. :-(

Xcasper <change the links>
No, Xcasper's quote was today. HE tagged it on to an old thread.

Xcasper, those look like replaceable link fuses, you used to unscrew the ferrules on the end and put in a new link. I don't think those are available any longer, but modern fuses are still the same physical size. Something like an FRS or LPS would likely fit.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
For what it's worth, the history of Bulldog is that they were bought by ITE and became ITE - Bulldog for a while, then ITE was bought by Gould, who then sold it off to Sylvania, who was bought by Siemens. But the Siemens switches are still called "VB" Series to this day, for Vacu-Break, the term Bulldog had on the original switches (you can wee it on those photos). As far as I know, Siemens is still using that same VB switch mechanism in their switchboards on the larger sizes. Their stand-alone disconnects are now called the VB-II because they modernized them so they are no longer the same.

Reactions: XCasper

·
Loaded Neutral
99 Posts
Xcasper, those look like replaceable link fuses, you used to unscrew the ferrules on the end and put in a new link. I don't think those are available any longer, but modern fuses are still the same physical size. Something like an FRS or LPS would likely fit.
My fault for not taking a picture of the complete fuse like Wirenuting did. I believe you are right about those he shows in his stand alone 400A safety switch.

This one isn't exactly stand alone... The originator of this old thread refered to
the type disconnects that are in a 1200 amp main switch gear
which is what I have here. When I took the pics I thought all I would need was cat# on wrapper and didn't even think to zoom out a bit. I found this original thread in a google search and thought pimpin might know the answer. :)

Attachments

·
Coffee drinking member
13,421 Posts
JRaef said:
No, Xcasper's quote was today. HE tagged it on to an old thread.

I did see his comment was from today and thought he was kidding about what were the old fuses by not showing the whole thing. That's why I posted the pics of the Bull Dog and skipped answering him.

After my post was up I saw how old the OP's thread was.
Then I mentioned replace the links if he has them and replace the silica also.

But your right about buying new standard sized fuses these days. We still have some links around here but the silica is getting in short supply.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
...We still have some links around here but the silica is getting in short supply.
When I worked at an old US Steel plant in the late 70s, they had us use sand from the sand blast line (the clean stuff). I never liked that idea. I've seen how they make sand, nobody bothers to worry about conductive material or even salt in it if it's just going to be used for sand blasting or construction. Maybe being a production line they knew it was pure silica, I don't know, I didn't ask those kinds of questions then. Rookies who ask too many questions got cut...

·
Banned
1,491 Posts
When I worked at an old US Steel plant in the late 70s, they had us use sand from the sand blast line (the clean stuff). I never liked that idea. I've seen how they make sand, nobody bothers to worry about conductive material or even salt in it if it's just going to be used for sand blasting or construction. Maybe being a production line they knew it was pure silica, I don't know, I didn't ask those kinds of questions then. Rookies who ask too many questions got cut...

Fairless works was our bread and butter around here. Kids now have no idea what large scale industry is like. Are you from a steel town?

I'd about chit if you said Johnstown Pa

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fuses

Hey Casper,

I just purchased regular modern day fuses. 600v and what ever amperage you need should fit in there just fine.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts