Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
16,571 Posts
So the door to door guys sell the systems. They are supposed to do all the paperwork. But the installer is a sub. And they are always the low bid company. Solar residential is complicated and most inspectors have trouble with it. Rapid shutdown has been a moving target. Labeling is confusing.

I was taking an online code class from a multi state provider and the instructor said they were trying to get a change in the building code. They wanted a PVC conduit from the attic to near the service to be required in new dwellings for PV. I had to tell him they are pretty much required to be metallic, not PVC. Can’t run the DC through the house in PVC.

Just like any construction, do your homework.

· Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,814 Posts
I was taking an online code class from a multi state provider and the instructor said they were trying to get a change in the building code. They wanted a PVC conduit from the attic to near the service to be required in new dwellings for PV. I had to tell him they are pretty much required to be metallic, not PVC. Can’t run the DC through the house in PVC.
It's troubling when the "student" schools the "teacher". :(

· Registered
7,016 Posts
Yeah, I’ve noticed that. What’s the reason behind keeping it in a metal conduit?

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
3,174 Posts
Must be something I do not understand. Or these people do not read. How is the property owner liable for something that is not completed? I read contracts and would never sign one that states I am on the hook for an uncompleted non working anything. I usually demand a completion date. Which has gotten be out of buying several new homes from builders that refused to honor a dead line. Because they could not preform in the contract limits.

· Premium Member
Working With the Tools
2,174 Posts
We just had one of these scam companies operating in East Tennessee. They moved into a brand new office building and then sold systems to over 300 home owners at $40,000 per installation. Most of the systems did not work from the very beginning. One of my clients fell for this scam and got alarmed when the company would not answer their phone calls. When he drove to their office he found that it was empty. I told him that I knew very little about these systems but I could certainly disconnect it and convert him 100% back to the grid.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
3,174 Posts
Had not thought of that. To my mind that is just stupid to be in the middle. I guess I just look at things differently. Must have been that upbringing by a man that got his doctorate in law when he was on guard duty in Korea.

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,373 Posts
Whenever there is government money to pay for things there is also rampant fraud. Look at Medicare/Medicaid versus private health insurance. The PPP Covid fund and other Covid relief programs. Over $100 Billion is missing money.

· Registered
1,550 Posts
I always thought unfused service conductors were in rigid to keep people from nailing or cutting into them.
PVC is like butter to a screw gun, sawzall or nail gun compared to rigid.
Unless you intercept them in the mast as it goes through the attic, run that to a separate panel through a contactor, and then power the contactor via a legitimate circuit so if they pull the meter and amp clamp the service drop the POCO won't discover it.

Or something.

· Can't sign em..forget em
7,512 Posts
I have received a few phone calls in the past from various "Solar companies" wanting me to "join" their company . They need a state licensed person was usually the gist. I'm always surprised to hear them admit they are in business without a license. The reason I put "join" in quotes is , the ones that have called me , offer to pay on a 1099 which is not allowed anymore in Ohio (effective September 2014) .
In Ohio I could assign my license to a company only if I am employed by them. These guys don't seem to understand this or how to differentiate an employee-employer relationship vs a contractor - sub contractor relationship (which is a federal definition not state) .
Also , the ones I spoke with were cheap (per 1099 quote) , but I just could not get involved. It made no sense financially for me to get involved and as I said we couldn't even agree on the classification of the employment status.
So i just wonder how many of these scams are entrepreneurs who dabble in this business with little to no electrician qualifications?

· Registered
16,571 Posts
Years ago I went to a solar conference. It was billed as the biggest of its kind. It was a very technically good conference. A lot of really excellent classes. A lot of participants. Two things I noticed. Other people there were amazed I had installed solar. That I actually had materials in my hands. The second was as soon as they found out I was an electrical contractor, they didn’t want to talk to me. I concluded they were mostly wannabes and knew they were not supposed to be installing solar.

· Registered
7,016 Posts
Years ago I went to a solar conference. It was billed as the biggest of its kind. It was a very technically good conference. A lot of really excellent classes. A lot of participants. Two things I noticed. Other people there were amazed I had installed solar. That I actually had materials in my hands. The second was as soon as they found out I was an electrical contractor, they didn’t want to talk to me. I concluded they were mostly wannabes and knew they were not supposed to be installing solar.
Kinda sounds like the same crowd that’s migrated to the EV charging market.

Mostly a bunch of office & sales people who negotiate large deals, make huge amounts of money and the. pass all the work off to someone else.

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,373 Posts

Mostly a bunch of office & sales people who negotiate large deals, make huge amounts of money and the. pass all the work off to someone else.
Par for the course when "Free" money is available. The leaches come out.

· Can't sign em..forget em
7,512 Posts

If I remember right , I believe inquiries started coming in when Obama Admin kicked off their Solar & Wind energy program. It's been a while since I got any of those inquiries.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts