Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a maintenance contract with a property management company in 2013. They own numerous section 8 apartment buildings around town with a total of 131 apartments that are all nearly identical in layout and building materials used. The electrical systems and wiring are about 35 years old. The strange part is that it's as if someone threw a switch and all the apartments' wiring is failing at the same time and in the exact same way. These photos are from different apartments and buildings and they all have burned out wiring. All the devices are back stabbed and the splices are crimped and wrapped with tape. Has anyone seen this type of situation before?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mxslick said:
Well the main issue is that the bucanon (sp?) crimps are NEVER to be used on current carrying conductors. :eek: They are listed for grounding pigtails only, and only when used with the proper crimp tool. I'd make sure you have an iron-clad release of responsibility on this job, or be prepared to repair ever single connection in every box in every unit. Yikes.....
I've already sold them a complete replacement of all devices and splices, but they are only having me do them when the tenant move out. On every repair, I send them a recommendation on company letterhead to replace all backstabbed devices and splices post-haste. Thank you for the information about the crimps being only listed for grounds. Fire is imminent in these apartments. Yikes indeed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dmxtothemax said:
Hope you have got a good insurance company ? You could well need it ! But 35 years isn't too bad, Especially if it was done as cheap as possible to begin with !
I've got great insurance, but I did not install this old electrical system. I am not liable for this fire hazard, the building owner is. Oh, these buildings were once military housing for a large Army community that no longer exists.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.