Electrician Talk banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I did a small remodel job this week at an office building, all the switch boxes had the buccanon crimps with a couple wraps of tape. The original date on this building was 1996. Lot of guys around here would do that instead of a wire nut, and I just assumed that practice died over time, but obviously some guys are still doing it.
35 years ain't bad.
You got that right. Id like to see anybody here go buy a washing machine, or a car, or a lawn mover that lasts 35 years. Everything made now days is cheap crap. This older stuff served its purpose. Nothing lasts forever, everything has an expiration date.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Bah. Done right there's no reason it shouldn't have lasted for 70 years. It doesn't do anything but sit there.
I don't believe that for one minute. Receptacles and switches in rental properties see some SERIOUS use. Tenants in and out, stuff plugged in all over the place, space heaters, maintenance men, fist fights, drunken idiots...I don't know what sees more action, a rental property, or a cheap whore.

Now, a nice home where some old lady lives, yeah it should last a while longer. Still, not 70 years though! I doubt I've ever been in home or business, that has been around longer that 15 or 20 years without some sort or repairs or hackery going on.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
some electrician around here about 50 years ago loved using the crimps and friction tape to make joints. only time ive ever seen it that way, theres a ton of houses done by the same guy apparently cause i find his work all over the place.
i hate taking them apart especially the toasted up ones in ceiling boxes.

some of this guys other off the wall trademarks include

2 hole romex straps every 12" literally

metal boxes bonded with a tail of insulated wire usually red or black crimped to bare grounds

bundling cables coming into panel with thousands of wraps of friction tape, also twisting 5 egcs together, wrap whole length in friction tape to make up in panel

j boxes everywhere, usually with no good reason

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.