Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve come across a few circuits in Berkeley that have been failing on the return side of 120 volt receptacles? Arcing enough to melt the face of device, in a recent kitchen remodel 2006? All inspected but failing where 1500 watt appliance have been used not old appliances? I believe all were 20amp leviton devices, all new Romex circuits? Possibly just poor workmanship? No loose connections that I’ve found?

·
The Accidental Welder
1,154 Posts
Arcing, enough to melt the face of a device, is a connection issue.

Arcs happen between gaps in conductive surfaces that have current flowing across them.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,102 Posts
I’ve come across a few circuits in Berkeley that have been failing on the return side of 120 volt receptacles? Arcing enough to melt the face of device, in a recent kitchen remodel 2006? All inspected but failing where 1500 watt appliance have been used not old appliances? I believe all were 20amp leviton devices, all new Romex circuits? Possibly just poor workmanship? No loose connections that I’ve found?
Curious, where are you from that you use the term "return side"?

·
Modérateur
8,693 Posts
To OP .,,

are you legit electrician or not ? because the key word is return line that is something we genrally dont say it.

I will give you 24 hours to come up with info otherwise this thread will be locked.

·
Senile Member
30,722 Posts
Wait a minute fella's ........... maybe a fault on a zig zag primary came up the GE and got into the neutral bus............. Nah..

·
Pull my wire
294 Posts
Must be french canadian, coz we say that all the time in french "sur le retour du circuit", aka on the return side. But no Berkeley around here and that does sound like a Cali city.

Sounds like bad connection from poor workmanship and using cheap appliances with tiny cords for a little bit too long.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Arcs happen between gaps in conductive surfaces that have current flowing across them.

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,677 Posts

Reactions: telsa

·
Registered
2,894 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
We have a saying here in NY about Rube Goldberg type wiring. Well we either call it that or California wiring.

But seriously it sounds like you have a phantom phase on the downstream neutral.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts