Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what happens when you try to run a 40AMP Tesla electric car charger off your living room outlet.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
TOASTY! do they not the difference between a 20 amp & a 40amp outlet? how did they plug this in ?they had to cut the plug off of the cord, i belive the 40 amp would be of a different configuration.:whistling2:

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
837 Posts
How hacked in was the charger?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
How hacked in was the charger?
In a Tesla the charger is in the car,you simply have to plug it into a 240 vollt 40 amp receptacle.

You can plug in in to a 120 volt receptacle with the right cord supplied but you must set the charger for it .

Look at the picture,the screws were never tightened :no:

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
This is how myths and urban legends code get started. This is all for drama.

HOW would it even be possible to plug in a 40A/240V load?
And even if you could plug it in wouldn't the breaker just trip?

We all know that was caused by a poor connection that created A LOT of heat, but not enough current to trip the breaker.
BUT..... show this pic with the Tesla comment and you have internet drama fodder.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
This is how myths and urban legends code get started. This is all for drama.

HOW would it even be possible to plug in a 40A/240V load?
And even if you could plug it in wouldn't the breaker just trip?

We all know that was caused by a poor connection that created A LOT of heat, but not enough current to trip the breaker.
BUT..... show this pic with the Tesla comment and you have internet drama fodder.
Electric cars burn down houses.

ablyss works for the oil companies.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
Now, now, now.... simmer down all you animals. Time for calmer heads to prevail.

We all know it was caused by the Carlon blue nail-on box the receptacle was installed in.

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
In a Tesla the charger is in the car,you simply have to plug it into a 240 vollt 40 amp receptacle.

You can plug in in to a 120 volt receptacle with the right cord supplied but you must set the charger for it .

I thought the charger was designed to sense the charging current, by the input voltage applied to it. If it's connected to a 120 volt source, it limits the charging current to a lower level, as not to exceed 12 amps at 120 volts. As a result of that, a lot longer recharge time is required. :(

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts

It does look like the screws were never tightened. I also see a white wire on the ground terminal.
The owner of the Tesla, must've been visiting the home. as far as most non-electricians are concerned, one receptacle is just as good as any.
These cars are generally sold with a contractor-installed charging circuit, with the proper receptacle. IIRC, they include a plug adaptor, to use a 120 volt, 15 amp receptacle. This would be more like an emergency measure.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Looks like the screws were never tightened? How was this wired up?

And how did the manage to fit a car charger plug into that:laughing::eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Screw the tesla I want to know what kind of truck you got. Its got a long console looks older. 90s chebby? Whats the thing to the right of the outlet?

·
Can't Remember
10,431 Posts
The one I did had three options a 120v cord, 240v 50 amp cord, and a up to 80amp 240v system. That might have been just poorly wired or just a worn out receptacle. Looks not much different than a receptacle used for window ac or a portable heater.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The one I did had three options a 120v cord, 240v 50 amp cord, and a up to 80amp 240v system. That might have been just poorly wired or just a worn out receptacle. Looks not much different than a receptacle used for window ac or a portable heater.

Some could taken the 50 amp version vcut the cord off and stuck a nema 5-15 on it:eek: Im guessing.

Seriously, to the op, how did some manage to get 40amps through the plug?

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
The el-cheapo duplex receptacle, probably wasn't worn out, it wasn't wired right. I don't know how someone could have wired it that way. The screws look like they were never touched. Someone must have been in a big hurry. :eek:

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
Some could taken the 50 amp version vcut the cord off and stuck a nema 5-15 on it:eek: Im guessing.

Seriously, to the op, how did some manage to get 40amps through the plug?
There's probably some specific language in the warrantee to address this.
I don't know if anyone would try to void the warrantee on a $75,000 car.
I understand a replacement power cord is like $300, to replace. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts