Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had the chance to ask the best business minds around a question, what would you ask?

Reactions: 120/208

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have talked with her on some of her webinars, but never had a real conversation with her. It would be fun to meet some of the really successful service guys and construction guys to pick their brains.

I've met one of the owners of a large Union shop in the SF Bay Area, he was interesting, but not a lot of guidance or advice, just the "Work Hard" stuff.....

Good thing he said that, I wasn't working very hard, but after that, yep....I was!:laughing:

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Good question, I would have to think about it.

I think for the most part all the info is already out there. There are no industry secrets, the key to business is doing those things that we always hear about but don't do for whatever reason.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Good question, I would have to think about it.

I think for the most part all the info is already out there. There are no industry secrets, the key to business is doing those things that we always hear about but don't do for whatever reason.

Like showing up on time and doing what you say you're going to do?

I know that's a MAJOR obstacle for some contractors.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
if you're going to be a business owner you better take some business classes , along with all your electrical class. plus other business related instruction.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lep said:
if you're going to be a business owner you better take some business classes , along with all your electrical class. plus other business related instruction.
I agree!! I took a couple little courses on business when I first went on my own, as it didn't take long to figure out there was a lot I didn't know on that side of things. I just took one a couple weeks back on how to interact and relate to employees , as apparently I needed some help , I learned my trade from a hard ass and that don't work with the new up and comers . They wine all the time!!!
Learning to take the good with the bad is a concept they don't understand.
Granted most of these guys former jobs , while they were in school were part time and usually involved flipping burgers.
The farm boys have usually been the better choice for me.
Don't mind getting their hands dirty and know how to put in a good days work !

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
All the biz brains on God's green earth won't help if the economy's in the crapper fellas

In fact, one is more apt to be sucked in by the many biz predators in a downturn

~CS~
That is where you are wrong.
the savvy business owner will not only survive they will thrive no mater what the state of the economy.

Most people think of recessions as being all bad. Truthfully, for most people they are a time of cutting back on spending and attempting to make more conservative purchasing decisions. Recession may actually lead to an increase in business, perhaps even an opportunity to thrive or grow the businesses extensively.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Business advice plentiful and often free. Its all about execution. Business advice is often like health advice...easy to get, fairly simple to understand, and incredibly hard to do consistently. But, if i could sit down with anyone it would be Jack Welch or Elon Musk.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.