Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sneaky tricks to getting the competitions numbers?
Hidden un-finished j-boxes to ensure you trim the job out?
Filings leins before you finish the job to ensure payments?
Keeping money in buried coffee can?
Sleeping with one eye open?

What do you got? :)

My wife just found out nice little trick. Next time your bank dings you because somebody slipped you a rubber check, you can take that check to the bank of whoever wrote it, and for a small fee, their bank will hang that check in limbo until enough funds cross into their account, and then it will immediately transfer to your account. It may not be the whole enchilada, but most of it is better than none. Plus, can you just imagine the face of the people when it gets pulled out of their account after they thought they got one over on you? :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have tried this in the past....one time the bank just flat out refused..... The other time a differnt bank made me open an account in their bank first to deposit the check in first...

Does anyone know the exact law regarding this, so in can argue my point at the bank better. And if the laws are the same in ever state. I work in nj and pa mostly.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
MHElectric said:
Sneaky tricks to getting the competitions numbers? Hidden un-finished j-boxes to ensure you trim the job out? Filings leins before you finish the job to ensure payments? Keeping money in buried coffee can? Sleeping with one eye open? What do you got? :) My wife just found out nice little trick. Next time your bank dings you because somebody slipped you a rubber check, you can take that check to the bank of whoever wrote it, and for a small fee, their bank will hang that check in limbo until enough funds cross into their account, and then it will immediately transfer to your account. It may not be the whole enchilada, but most of it is better than none. Plus, can you just imagine the face of the people when it gets pulled out of their account after they thought they got one over on you? :)
You can also take the check to the local sheriff and have the person arrested

Reactions: sciburks

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be that your bank has to do the leg work instead of you. Of course, there is some type of fee for all this, but if you're really interested, I would suggest talking to someone at your bank and seeing what it would take to process a bad check through their system.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody else have any good tricks for guerrilla warfare, survival procedures, and anything that "evens the playing field" a little?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sneaky tricks to getting the competitions numbers?
Hidden un-finished j-boxes to ensure you trim the job out?
Filings leins before you finish the job to ensure payments?
Keeping money in buried coffee can?
Sleeping with one eye open?

What do you got? :)

My wife just found out nice little trick. Next time your bank dings you because somebody slipped you a rubber check, you can take that check to the bank of whoever wrote it, and for a small fee, their bank will hang that check in limbo until enough funds cross into their account, and then it will immediately transfer to your account. It may not be the whole enchilada, but most of it is better than none. Plus, can you just imagine the face of the people when it gets pulled out of their account after they thought they got one over on you? :)
I've got this long time client that pays me every dam time with a "super-ball-check" and I nail him with a fee every-time he does it, I have to go find him and drag him to the bank to get cash:no::laughing:

But he pays good in the end:rolleyes:

Also leave out stuff like a 3 wire between 3 way switches just in case they plan on not paying after the ink goes on the card on the rough, they will never know the switching will not work until after the paint drys :laughing:

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Anybody else have any good tricks for guerrilla warfare, survival procedures, and anything that "evens the playing field" a little?
As I've said before, I see large amounts of waste from electricians who wire everything overkill, which of course wastes the most expensive component of a job - labor. Knowing how to use the minimums to your advantage goes a long way toward saving labor and material.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
About 30K worth of butthurt to remind me nice guys finish last ....:( ~CS~
I have learned this as well, although I have not taken a 30k hit. That really sucks.

I like to think that I treat others the way I like to be treated, and that when presented with an opportunity to help someone in need, that I would take it. But you have to watch what you do, because things are not always as they seem - people lie, cheat, steal and then turn right around and act like you are doing them wrong because you need to get paid for your work. It's ridiculous, and its very easy to become bitter and cynical towards people when you get burned time after time.

I try to keep a very keen eye out for what is going on around me, and make sure I'm watching all the players on the field. Some are good, some are bad, some you just have to watch very carefully. Its a game. I'm not sure how to win, but I know that being careful and cautious and always keeping an eye on your money, will save your butt tremendously.

·
Registered
809 Posts
chicken steve said:
About 30K worth of butthurt to remind me nice guys finish last ....:( ~CS~
I just took my 30k hit. Now the builder is trying to get my license revoked because i liened his properties.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I have all the local banks phone numbers in my cell....I simply call the bank issuing the check, give them the routing number on the lower rt side of the check, the amount of the check and ask the bank if they will honor this check today....they say yes or no...learned the hard way 20+ years ago....sux we have this happen but some folks are txrds...

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have all the local banks phone numbers in my cell....I simply call the bank issuing the check, give them the routing number on the lower rt side of the check, the amount of the check and ask the bank if they will honor this check today....they say yes or no...learned the hard way 20+ years ago....sux we have this happen but some folks are txrds...

Good idea.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
988 Posts
I did a job for a guy who I just didn't have a good vibe about. I didn't make up any of the switch boxes on the rough. I drew up a map for myself so I knew which wires were which. He stiffed me a little on my rough payment and i never went back to do the finish. Needless to say whoever finished that had their hands full.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We turned in bad check to the sheriff a few years ago.It took 2 years but the client was pulled over for a tail light and there was the warrant.His wife was at my office the next morning with cash and I stamped "paid in full" on the invoice.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Did you give the people a chance to come in and pay before turning them in?

I gotta say, I like the idea of doing that!:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did a job for a guy who I just didn't have a good vibe about. I didn't make up any of the switch boxes on the rough. I drew up a map for myself so I knew which wires were which. He stiffed me a little on my rough payment and i never went back to do the finish. Needless to say whoever finished that had their hands full.
I heard a few guy talk about never making up their switchboxes on the rough. You'd have to have a real consistent way of how you wired your switches, otherwise you'd screw yourself on the trim and spent more time troubleshooting.

But it would keep scheisters from trying to skip out on paying you for the trim out. Front loading your payouts seems to work to, if you can get around 75-80% of the bill at the end of the rough, you shouldn't be hurting if they dont call you in to finish it out.

·
Registered
988 Posts
MHElectric said:
I heard a few guy talk about never making up their switchboxes on the rough. You'd have to have a real consistent way of how you wired your switches, otherwise you'd screw yourself on the trim and spent more time troubleshooting.

But it would keep scheisters from trying to skip out on paying you for the trim out. Front loading your payouts seems to work to, if you can get around 75-80% of the bill at the end of the rough, you shouldn't be hurting if they dont call you in to finish it out.
I only did it once. Like I said I wasn't getting a good vibe from the guy.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
This didn't happen to me personally , but a farmer friend of mine received a bad check for a big load a produce he sold to another farmer.
He took the cheque to the bank where he asked if it was any good and they told him purely by mistake that the account was 500 bucks shy.
So he deposited 500 into the account then cashed the check.
Needless to say the other guy was pissed!
Wrote a bad check knowing it was no good.
Forgot to add that he had wrote it for more than he owed as a tip for quick delivery .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you give the people a chance to come in and pay before turning them in?

I gotta say, I like the idea of doing that!:laughing::laughing:
Sent the client a past due statement every month for 7 months.
Called every month and left a voicemail asking for them to at least call us and we would work something out.

I have carried $ 25,000 in past due for clients for months as long they give me the courtesy that it may take that long to pay.

This was $1600.00 and I would have let them make monthly payments if they would have at least acknowledged it.
:blink::blink:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts