Electrician Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested out my milwaukee fuel kit today at work and installed some busway fusible switches 400A, 600A, and 800A. Lots of tiny slot screws that had to be removed :censored: needless to say they will be replaced with robertsons!:thumbup: 3 man minimum for the bigger switches: one to hoist, one to align/level/hold it in place, one to fasten it into final resting place. The pictures are poor, but hey, I wasn't there as a photographer! It's installed level and secure, only some minor bus modifications and torquing to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
33,024 Posts
One thing we recommend is to megger the busway prior to installing any switches and then megger after installation.

I have know electricians to complete hot installs of busway switches, in my opinion they are nuts.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing we recommend is to megger the busway prior to installing any switches and then megger after installation.

I have know electricians to complete hot installs of busway switches, in my opinion they are nuts.
Yup, we do that. It will be torqued, bus connections and contacts in the equipment ductored to check contact resistance, and meggered. There are more 200A switches to be installed and more various equipment yet to go in, it will all be fully commissioned with reports and the whole nine.... I just figure not many on here are interested in hearing about that stuff, and I can't disclose all of that information in much detail. Installing an 800A busway switch hot :blink:.... I'll have no part in that besides for maybe dialing 911. The neutral and ground connections aren't just straight bus, they are fun enough to connect in the tight quarters. Shifting the switch around to get it into place, not a chance I'd do that live! Some people will do anything for a buck I guess.

·
Registered
33,024 Posts
Yup, we do that. It will be torqued, bus connections and contacts in the equipment ductored to check contact resistance, and meggered. There are more 200A switches to be installed and more various equipment yet to go in, it will all be fully commissioned with reports and the whole nine.... I just figure not many on here are interested in hearing about that stuff, and I can't disclose all of that information in much detail. Installing an 800A busway switch hot :blink:.... I'll have no part in that besides for maybe dialing 911. The neutral and ground connections aren't just straight bus, they are fun enough to connect in the tight quarters. Shifting the switch around to get it into place, not a chance I'd do that live! Some people will do anything for a buck I guess.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I mentioned it because many do not megger the busway ever, and unfortunately I have been on blow ups were electricians installed switches in energized busway.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...3 man minimum for the bigger switches: one to hoist, one to align/level/hold it in place, one to fasten it into final resting place....
I've been the hoist man when I unwisely gave a helper the fastening job, and he struggled and struggled to get the bolts started while beads of sweat are just dripping off my face and I'm damn near ready to drop the thing, and that's how I learned it's always important to check that the guy putting in the screws understands "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy." :wallbash:

·
Registered
33,024 Posts
I've been the hoist man when I unwisely gave a helper the fastening job, and he struggled and struggled to get the bolts started while beads of sweat are just dripping off my face and I'm damn near ready to drop the thing, and that's how I learned it's always important to check that the guy putting in the screws understands "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy." :wallbash:
Even then the Siemens junk may not hold, what crap.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Even then the Siemens junk may not hold, what crap.
Man, I lump 'em all in the same boat at this point. We just commissioned a hugely expensive Schneider sub that had major problems brand new from the factory. The breakers have a grand total of 3 operations on them and the charging gears are already slipping teeth.

Give me something built before 1970 any day of the week.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't mind being the hoist guy, we used a block and tackle, not sure how anyone could lift an busway switch in place without one or some kind of lift :eek:, the 800 ampers weighed just shy of 400lbs. The only thing that was annoying was the rope, it was nylon and not the easiest to keep a good grip on with my gloves. Once its fully in place I would tie the rope off and it could hang there all day. I also got to fasten them in after seeing how its done the first few times. The only tricky part of the job was bolting the ground and isolated ground bus....we finally discovered the easiest way do that, with only 5 left to do and 20 done :whistling2:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Today's mission was solely 200A busway fusible switches. Much smaller and easier to manipulate in place. 2 man per switch. Mounted, ground and isolated ground bus removed/re-oriented/re-installed, hardware installed, torqued, tested, covers back on....Hour and a bit per switch give or take. Much quicker then the 800's. This is the finished install, sorry, didn't take any pictures of the bus connections, too bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How does someone install an 800 A switch live without getting fired?
It used to be not that uncommon back in the day, and we did it without arc flash PPE or rubber gloves, but we always made sure to test the plug first.

800A plugs were a bear and it was a sketchy procedure. Now we de-energize the entire bus while wearing arc flash PPE until an electrically safe work condition has been established and verified with a meter. Electrical safety in the workplace has come a long way over the past 20 years, although I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are still folks out there doing it live.

·
Registered
20,135 Posts
Union job, foreman was a pusher. We installed about 10 before lunch and had no idea the 2000amp 480 volt buss was hot.
He told us sorry and to be careful installing the rest of them.
I did, was an apprentice at the time.

Back in the 60s my dad ended up in the hospital from burns from screwing around with a hot buss. I don't guess they saved much time working that hot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
It used to be not that uncommon back in the day, and we did it without arc flash PPE or rubber gloves, but we always made sure to test the plug first.

800A plugs were a bear and it was a sketchy procedure. Now we de-energize the entire bus while wearing arc flash PPE until an electrically safe work condition has been established and verified with a meter. Electrical safety in the workplace has come a long way over the past 20 years, although I wouldn't be surprised to learn there are still folks out there doing it live.
How on earth does one even do that? These switches, at least the ones we installed, far from just slide into place. I honestly could not see anyone installing this particular gear correctly live without having a flash over. They have 5 connections, G-IG-A-B-C, and they are all close. I sure as h*ll wouldn't be the one putting a torque wrench on to tighten bus at 600V! Heck you need to spread the bus apart manually just to get the torque wrench to fit on the bolt heads and you still hit the phase beside you...seems like a dead short to me....:blink: EDIT: You guys must be talking about plug in bus plug? I should have mentioned this was not a plug in bus connection, it is installed on a power take-off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.