Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some work truck buying tips/suggestions you would tell someone that just started his own business? I am going to use this truck 2 times or maybe three times a week.. I want a ford e350 type of van...thanks

·
Registered
290 Posts
Plan what you will need for storage racks / bins / shelves etc and add 20%. You will end up with more then planned over time

·
Registered
5 Posts
What are some work truck buying tips/suggestions you would tell someone that just started his own business? I am going to use this truck 2 times or maybe three times a week.. I want a ford e350 type of van...thanks
Are you buying a new van? I assume electrical work van...do you do ladder work and carry long (30 ft) ladders. Would a bucket van be useful and a good investment? I like the 350 gas, but diesel might give you longer service and better resale. Remote Power locks for all doors...alarm system?
I too use the 350 and love them

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pondman said:
Are you buying a new van? I assume electrical work van...do you do ladder work and carry long (30 ft) ladders. Would a bucket van be useful and a good investment? I like the 350 gas, but diesel might give you longer service and better resale. Remote Power locks for all doors...alarm system? I too use the 350 and love them
24 foot extension ladder and 12 foot step ladder only on top rack...I do mostly residential work... No alarm and power locks...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Real saving in used vehicles that have been well maintained. Often, cable companies, municipal departments etc. sell well maintained with high mileage for very reasonable prices. Will you be putting any graphics on the exterior? I wish you well & much success

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Elephante said:
24 foot extension ladder and 12 foot step ladder only on top rack...I do mostly residential work... No alarm and power locks...
Power locks are worth it. It get old making laps around the truck to unlock and lock up again.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I look for old vans from high dollar union shops, those vans are pretty well maintained. I picked up one for about $5k and have put 30k miles on it with zero issues. I figure I should get close to putting 100k on it before anything major. (I'm projecting 200k to 300k out of my E350, after all my Chevy has close to 400k on it's second engine and transmission).

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,240 Posts
Power locks, power windows, cloth seats, AC
You will probably be in that van 2 or more hours a day, so be comfortable.
Minimum 3/4 ton rated,

·
Estwing magic
26,740 Posts
My first van was an older one ton Dodge that I bought from a retired EC. The second was an older Ford that came from a retired GC. Both were good vehicles. Older vans can last a long time with basic maintenance. They're old technology and sometimes that's a good thing. They seem to be able to take a lot of abuse. I have a good neighborhood mechanic who will give me an honest evaluation of a vehicle's condition. I'll take care of the easier fixes myself and leave the tough stuff to him. The Ford I had was an '01. It seemed to be impervious to rust. Even though it was old, it still looked good driving up to a customer's place.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
My first van was an older one ton Dodge that I bought from a retired EC. The second was an older Ford that came from a retired GC. Both were good vehicles. Older vans can last a long time with basic maintenance. They're old technology and sometimes that's a good thing. They seem to be able to take a lot of abuse. I have a good neighborhood mechanic who will give me an honest evaluation of a vehicle's condition. I'll take care of the easier fixes myself and leave the tough stuff to him. The Ford I had was an '01. It seemed to be impervious to rust. Even though it was old, it still looked good driving up to a customer's place.
If I could find another 99- 02 Ford with a 7.3 diesel and low mileage I'd put it on ice for my next truck. The evolution of work trucks do not entice me, the styling of these new vehicles are gay.

Reactions: Hippie

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently winter in Florida, BUT when I'm home, I have a 2004 E350 with 35 ft reach bucket that I use to repair sign boxes and neon products. Ford 350 is the way to go...still wish I had power door locks...Elephante, good luck in your new undertakings, I hope we provided good input.

·
Estwing magic
26,740 Posts
If I could find another 99- 02 Ford with a 7.3 diesel and low mileage I'd put it on ice for my next truck. The evolution of work trucks do not entice me, the styling of these new vehicles are gay.
No matter how you style it, I would find it impossible to get excited about a new van. It's still a big box with four wheels designed to carry junk around in. If it does its job, that's about as exciting as it can get.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
No matter how you style it, I would find it impossible to get excited about a new van. It's still a big box with four wheels designed to carry junk around in. If it does its job, that's about as exciting as it can get.
I just can't get into the NV, Trademaster, or Sprinter. Too futuristic for an old fart like me.

·
Kind of a big deal here
923 Posts
Boss man just received notice from the dealer, my new work van just arrived! They are up fitting it starting Monday, then off to get lettered. I should see it in a couple weeks... 2015 Transit Wagon high roof. My existing van is finally getting fixed at mechanic right now, of course...

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Boss man just received notice from the dealer, my new work van just arrived! They are up fitting it starting Monday, then off to get lettered. I should see it in a couple weeks... 2015 Transit Wagon high roof. My existing van is finally getting fixed at mechanic right now, of course...
I want pics when you get it!

·
Kind of a big deal here
923 Posts
I've often considered "looking" at the Transit. I too hope to see pictures and congratulations on the acquisition.
We have two of the little Transit Connects now for construction guys. Big jobs they leave stock and most tools on site, so it's good for people transport. I'm a service guy, so we are trying the big sprinter sized Transit as a rolling warehouse. I will post a bunch of pics during setup when it arrives.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts