Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just going through our invoices through the year and noticed we spent around 6,000.00 this year on scissor lift rental, just the small lifts that lift around 20'. My question is at what point or percentage of the cost of rent vs buying should you purchase the equipment ?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
ohiosparky99 said:
Just going through our invoices through the year and noticed we spent around 6,000.00 this year on scissor lift rental, just the small lifts that lift around 20'. My question is at what point or percentage of the cost of rent vs buying should you purchase the equipment ? Thanks
You can get a used skyjack 3219 for 3 grand. With new tires, batteries, and motor.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
We bought our used scissor lifts from United Rentals. Got one for 4k and the other for $3500. If you are spending 6k a year for rentals, its time to buy.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Do you have the means to store, transport, and service it?
Good questions.

Ours never seem to come back to the shop....they are always on a job somewhere....so hopefully the OP is the same and the will never need to worry about storage.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
For a 3219 all you need is a 3'x8' space which isn't too bad. You'll need a tilt trailer and binding chains to move it. Maintenance isn't too bad just check your water levels weekly and try not to run into stuff

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I think it really depends on if you are just going to run it till it breaks and repair it yourself or if you are going to have the manufacturers recommended preventive maintenance done by qualified people. When a repair is needed no mater how minor have it done by qualified people. Keep records etc.

All that stuff can be needed if someone does get hurt on the unit. It is my understanding it is all required by OSHA. You could deem yourself qualified but again if someone gets hurt on or by the unit your qualification could be looked at. Do you have factory training? Did you keep records of the PMs etc.

We bought our used scissor lifts from United Rentals. Got one for 4k and the other for $3500. If you are spending 6k a year for rentals, its time to buy.
How about if you spend more than 10 times that? :)

About the only equipment the company owns is Gator, everything else is rent.

Forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, more gators etc.

It does not make sense to own them, certified upkeep and repairs, transportation, the right equipment for the job. (AKA, not trying to use a scissor lift 'cause you own it' when a boom is needed.) If we have equipment break down a repair or replacement happens very quickly.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I gotta agree with BBQ.

A lot of big companies who use lifts and other big equipment on multiple jobs all year long still rent. The maintenance, liability, transportation, etc. is important.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
It does seem that the bigger the company.....the less equipment they own:001_huh:. I've worked for a few larger outfits and this was always true. It boils down to exactly what you guys said......the cost of ownership for that much equipment just gets to be too high and it makes more sense to rent it.

For us.......being a smaller outfit.......we have about 12k invested in the lifts and the trailer. We have had them for about 2 years now. Add the small costs of regular maintenance and the really small costs of transporting them and we are now making money with them.

Our average rental costs on lifts was about 15k per year. It made good dollars and cents for us.

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
Good questions.

Ours never seem to come back to the shop....they are always on a job somewhere....so hopefully the OP is the same and the will never need to worry about storage.
THe issue I have seen is maintenance of equipment.

·
Tool Fetish
940 Posts
Used to own my own equipment; one small ride on trencher, one large ride on trencher with a backhoe, one 4'x10'x24' working height scissor lift. Had a twin axle tilt trailer to hall them on. All became too much for insurance, maintenance and storage. Aerial equipment has to be repaired by qualified people. Also, good maintenance is a MUST. Nothing worse than hauling your own equipment to a job and have it break down. I always rent scissor lifts, aerial lifts and excavation equipment when needed. Most rentals are fairly new equipment and maintained well. If they break down another unitis only a phone call away. I still own my own Elliott crane/bucket truck which is used weekly. Must be inspected and certified by an authorized rep yearly.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
Used to own my own equipment; one small ride on trencher, one large ride on trencher with a backhoe, one 4'x10'x24' working height scissor lift. Had a twin axle tilt trailer to hall them on. All became too much for insurance, maintenance and storage. Aerial equipment has to be repaired by qualified people. Also, good maintenance is a MUST. Nothing worse than hauling your own equipment to a job and have it break down. I always rent scissor lifts, aerial lifts and excavation equipment when needed. Most rentals are fairly new equipment and maintained well. If they break down another unitis only a phone call away. I still own my own Elliott crane/bucket truck which is used weekly. Must be inspected and certified by an authorized rep yearly.
Who requires the bucket truck to be inspected yearly. I understand it is good practice but is it required?

·
Premium Member
19,488 Posts
I think it really depends on if you are just going to run it till it breaks and repair it yourself or if you are going to have the manufacturers recommended preventive maintenance done by qualified people. When a repair is needed no mater how minor have it done by qualified people. Keep records etc.

All that stuff can be needed if someone does get hurt on the unit. It is my understanding it is all required by OSHA. You could deem yourself qualified but again if someone gets hurt on or by the unit your qualification could be looked at. Do you have factory training? Did you keep records of the PMs etc.

How about if you spend more than 10 times that? :)

About the only equipment the company owns is Gator, everything else is rent.

Forklifts, boom lifts, scissor lifts, more gators etc.

It does not make sense to own them, certified upkeep and repairs, transportation, the right equipment for the job. (AKA, not trying to use a scissor lift 'cause you own it' when a boom is needed.) If we have equipment break down a repair or replacement happens very quickly.
I agree with Bob.
The equipment rental cost you put into a job doesnt change much just because you own it.
If I were you, I would get better pricing from the rental company rather than owning anything. They are usually pretty flexible.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I own two lifts. I would be lost without them. They have paid for themselves ten times over. If I needed one I would buy another. Not all jobs go perfect. Sometimes the job sits for a while and a rental lift would just cost you money. Mine are older but in good shape.
FWIW I don't work on to many OSHA type of jobs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts