Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
A 'drop' means a cable or wire 'dropped' from above the ceiling to a receptacle or jack in the wall. Usually used for lo-voltage, such as data, video, or phone.

Pricing 'by the drop' means you calculate your material for each 'outlet' (4x4 box, mud ring, 3/4" EMT connectors, a couple minnies or straps, etc. as well as the cable itself, the jack or recep, and labor to install one 'drop') to make estimaing easier.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
I have heard "by the drop" for lo-vo, but never for line volt wiring.
By the hole, or opening, I have heard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here per sq is the rule. I'm move to per opining. custom homes very too much and custmers have a hard time with extras. I want ues the numbers every area is diferant use your last or next house and count up every thing and play with the nubers yourself. I use

$xx per opeing
$xx per SP outlet
$xx per can
$xx per Amp for 220 equipment
$xx per Amp for service

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Here per sq is the rule. I'm move to per opining. custom homes very too much and custmers have a hard time with extras. I want ues the numbers every area is diferant use your last or next house and count up every thing and play with the nubers yourself. I use

$xx per opeing
$xx per SP outlet
$xx per can
$xx per Amp for 220 equipment
$xx per Amp for service
I agree sqft pricing is no good although most homes I do in this area are similar enough I can come pretty close.

I have a excel spreadsheet that has assemblies for each type of device I use. I can adjust my labor material, mark up, profit etc. for each job

I figure each service separately, and add it to the total. Takes about an hour or so to bid a 2500 sqft house which is about average size here - most of what I do are second homes or "camps".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Around here GC's like it easy (to bid a house with out talking to subs) They like SQ price. T&M is the fareist but most HO's don't like it. The SQ price should be a base price. You get stuck between HO's and GC's with extras.
HO's thinking per SQ, any thing I want. GC's saying It's just an extra outlet,light or (porch with 10 cans and 4 fans). But charge Per Opening and you here Well we only need just a light here and just one recpt. will do there.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Around here GC's like it easy (to bid a house with out talking to subs) They like SQ price. T&M is the fareist but most HO's don't like it. The SQ price should be a base price. You get stuck between HO's and GC's with extras.
HO's thinking per SQ, any thing I want. GC's saying It's just an extra outlet,light or (porch with 10 cans and 4 fans). But charge Per Opening and you here Well we only need just a light here and just one recpt. will do there.
When I submit a bid with a HO or GC I don't have a working relationship with, I will submit a detailed list of lights, devices, etc. my bid includes. Anything else is extra.

Underground services have length limitations attached..."not to exceed XXX feet." I've seen too many ditches lengthened by unseen obstructions to do it any other way.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
$45/ point here. but that will change by tommorow. add a little for 3-ways and some more for fans.

$10 per amp now for a service change (more for new, Go figure?). kinda been standard for a few years. (some will differ, but some have made no money). I'm in it for the money. Not the pride or practice.

Now the 2008 code. Standard dedicated 20A 120V rec. $225. (Getting it).

If we all get together, we all will.

Edit:eek:r practice

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dont get caught up in this thread. I tried to compare prices a few months back with " fellow" electricians, but ended up getting crucified. Everyone here knows the right way it seems, and your way is awfull, and lucky to be in buisness. I dont care too see anyone try to say that wasnt the case.
But , since the ball is rolling again ......... I do the sq ft here in savannah. I then make allowances dor 220 volts stuff, 400 amp service, and rec cans. ( taxes and oerhead also)
Also i take high ceilings into consideration , along with tel / tv, dacora devices, and floor outlets. Sometimes landscape ligting also.
This is when i do houses that are comparable to each other. When i do totally different houses or commercial , I start by the the opening, and then I break down the pricing, keeping it tight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.