Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In California, do I need to go to a contractor exam preperation school to be ready for the law and business portion or can I find appropriate study material online and save the money? Also how is the electrical portion compared to the state electrical certification exam. Is it mostly code based? Open book? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
My advice is to spend the 7-800 and take a course. They will teach you the law portion. No studying necessary for the electrical.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
All I did was the online courses. Passed the first time, no problems. The law is a lot easier than you may think.

The electrical, that is way to easy. No studying needed. You could probably forget 99% of the code, and still pass it. After all, look at many of C10 license holders. The JM test is harder, so if your certified, this will be a cake walk.

I think I used Contractors License School

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
All I did was the online courses. Passed the first time, no problems. The law is a lot easier than you may think.

The electrical, that is way to easy. No studying needed. You could probably forget 99% of the code, and still pass it. After all, look at many of C10 license holders. The JM test is harder, so if your certified, this will be a cake walk.

I think I used Contractors License School
Online for the course, or the test?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Online for the course, or the test?
The online test prep course. The actual test I had to go to a testing facility, which I'm pretty sure they still make you do.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
The online test prep course. The actual test I had to go to a testing facility, which I'm pretty sure they still make you do.
from applying to school, to having your license, what would you say that time span is?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
from applying to school, to having your license, what would you say that time span is?
I took a 6-8 week course and while I was still enrolled they signed me up for the exam. My testing date was two weeks after my course completion date so they offered additional refresher practice exams to keep my mind fresh. The goal is to take the exam as soon as possible after the course.

I went locally. They only have 2 offices. They even handled my first 2 year bond.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Flies,

I have seen all your posts and 2 of them have to deal with money and the cost of the education. You are about to become a contractor. The old phase spend money/make money. It applies to this business also. I know things can be nervous for you, but if you are hesitant about spending less than $1000 to pretty much guarantee you will pass, maybe you are not ready, young Jedi.

Some benefits of the classroom:

You will pass.

Structured learning time. With online courses most people will not sit down every Tuesday from 6-9. They will put it off. Your learning will suffer.

The cost of the class may be deducted when you file your taxes.

You can't ask a computer questions. Learning is not just reading.

And the most important benefit? Networking. I met a couple smart guys there. One an HVAC guy who I actually got work from. And the other a plumber. Unfortunately, both didn't make it past 2010 with their businesses. I also got a job from secretary at the school. A lady calls up and asks her for a recommendation for an electrical contractor. Between those two jobs, I more than made up the cost of the education.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
It depends!

From sending the paperwork in to taking the test was a couple of months or so. I passed the test in February, but didn't get my license until September!

The state says they randomly review people, and apparently I was one of the chosen two. They took their sweet time, almost eight months, before they issued my license. Being absolute A-Holes through the hole process.

Neadless to say, I really do to have much respect for them or their process. The test is easy, way to easy. You do not need to know much of anything to get a C-10. I can't say for the other classifications, but if they are anything like the electrical contractors exam, no wonder so much shoddy work takes place.

All you need to do is know how to read and posses a code book. Then, you can pass.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
In California, do I need to go to a contractor exam preperation school to be ready for the law and business portion or can I find appropriate study material online and save the money? Also how is the electrical portion compared to the state electrical certification exam. Is it mostly code based? Open book? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
first ,fill out your application and mail in the fee an application.
second, buy law and trade book for around 100 bucks.
third , study like crazy until you take the exam
fourth, start generating work now!
fifth ,generate more work now!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I borrowed some old books from an electrician friend. Studied at home, passed on the first test. I had a much larger problem with the state accepting the verifications from past employers, even though I had 29 years of experience. they wanted details such as exactly what I did on the job. So I went back and forth with one of the shops until I got them to state what I did while employed with that shop. It delayed me for several months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts