Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to be part of another job that involves a large amount of cable tray. I have given up on trying to convince the foreman to use hinge plates instead if custom mitering every offset, you would think that the extra work would be a factor considering that paying two people to run the tray costs over $100/hr. That being said , does anybody have experience with using b-lines pre-made strut packages (cost wise) vs building your own trapeze.

I would also like some input on using these brackets (picture), vs traditional trapeze as far as cost and installation quality are concerned.

Attachments

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
We use factory 90 bends and hinged plates for ups and downs. A battery circular saw with a finish or alu blade and a speed square is key I find.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
butcher733 said:
I really like the circular saw idea.
That's how we cut tray. We only keep 90s, tees, and offsets on hand. I don't know what angle the factory offsets are but they work all the time. And does your foreman have much of a say on what products are being used? One shop I was with wouldn't let me deviate from the bid sheets and another one would if we could show a cost benefit analysis

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
The contractors that work for me use battery RA grinders with a ALUM cutting disc. Seems to do a nice job.

·
507 Posts
fisstech said:
i second the speed square and circ saw method. best way to cut tray. fast, clean, and straight. i use an irwin quick grip to keep the square tight and straight. grip and rip!
Mostly done it this way or with a jig made up, but I did one large job with only premade VI/VO 90s,45s,30s as well as HB 90,45,30. Rarely used the hinges plates.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Chewy, you guys use aluminum ladders?
Yep, I got lit up on one recently too, dip**** twinks keep dragging them and wearing out the feet. Was pulling cantols in on that very tray I pictured and moved my ladder onto an extension cord, climbed up it but as soon as I touched the bonded tray, bang, lights and the builders tablesaw turns off, lost feeling in my fingers then my hands so I got my boss to drop me off at the emergency room and they did an ECG and all that jazz and told me I had extremely low blood pressure but no signs I had been shocked... I have high blood pressure normally... "come back if anything changes" Im still here so must be ok but worth getting a hand to hand shock checked out apparently.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's how we cut tray. We only keep 90s, tees, and offsets on hand. I don't know what angle the factory offsets are but they work all the time. And does your foreman have much of a say on what products are being used? One shop I was with wouldn't let me deviate from the bid sheets and another one would if we could show a cost benefit analysis
He has 100% control on ordering. He does the takeoff and ordering.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.