Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 12/3 running from the panel to the kitchen. One hot to disposal, one to dishwasher; split neutral at one kitchen junction to allow two short runs of 12/2 to each appliance. I need to upgrade from standard to a cafci breaker setup. This is a GE panel. So two problems: 1) GE does not make a 2-pole dfci (what they call cafci / gfci), and 2) there's only one neutral from the panel.

The best solution I've seen is to use 2 of the 1-pole dfci's with handle tie. Connect both pigtails to neutral bar. Connect load neutral and one hot to one of the dfci. Then only the second hot to the other dfci (no load neutral).

Will this work and protect both circuits? Is this code compliant? Any better solutions?

·
Administrator
EC
22,171 Posts
Yes that will work. GE uses 2 sp with ties to work as a dp. Neutral of the multiwire branch circuit only connects to one of the 2 breakers. You must use handle ties as you stated.

Reactions: DashDingo

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,817 Posts
I'm confused here.

Title says CAFCI , but OP is saying DFCI in thread.

GE CAFCI don't have ground fault in them anymore, so 2 SP would work.
DFCI, one of the breakers would open immediately .... Am I missing something here ?

·
Administrator
EC
22,171 Posts
I'm confused here.

Title says CAFCI , but OP is saying DFCI in thread.

GE CAFCI don't have ground fault in them anymore, so 2 SP would work.
DFCI, one of the breakers would open immediately .... Am I missing something here ?

You are correct-- you would have to use gfci receptacles

Reactions: emtnut

·
Registered
197 Posts
F that,
Just use one circuit for both the disposal and dishwasher.
You don’t need a 2 pole.
Dual function 20 amp single pole breaker, done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, sorry I confused things in the thread title. I'm working with CAFCI/GFCI combination, so GE DFCI (THQL1120DFP). The line terminates under the sink, so want the protection at the panel to avoid hot line in the "wet" location. Unfortunately this is a small 24 slot panel handling 20 circuits. To bring everything up to snuff, I'll need to replace with a larger panel. Thinking Square D QO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts