Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

New to this forum and I wan to post something that I have not seen anyone post on this forum yet. A little bit about myself, I went to Long Beach City College here in Long Beach, CA in 2012 and completed the Electrical Technology Program.This program is approved to offer the whole general electrician curriculum as established by the Department of Industrial Relations – Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Once a student has earned the Certificate of Achievement, Electrical Technology, that student will be allowed to register to take the General Electrician’s Certification Exam. I did not take the certification exam right after, although I was eligible. I had hard time finding work after school. The school focused on motor controls and more on the industrial side. The only jobs I did get were "Maintenance mechanic" and "Maintenance Technician" positions for industrial plants and factories. The positions were fine, I got to troubleshoot a lot of 480 VAC equipment and motor controls, plus other duties might consist of machining, welding and mechanical installations. Fast forward 6 years later, I decide now to take the certification exam. I have been studying and I am pretty confident I will pass my test, only issue is that I do not have any documented hours since I was not working for a C-10 contractor, I was working for an industrial plant. Would I be able to get a decent wage ( 35 and up) for my experience (6 years) in the industrial maintenance field, 2 years of electrical schooling with a certificate and completion of the general electrician certification exam? I want to get a job with the utility company or a refinery. I also forgot to mention that I also have my associates of science in electrical technology and about a year left before I transfer to Cal State Long Beach for Electrical Engineering? Any advice? I currently get paid 30 an hour as an industrial technician at a plant, but i see journeymen here in LA getting more than 40 an hour. I want to start working for a C-10 contractor to get my 8000 hours but I also do not want to get paid under 30 bucks an hour since I already have the schooling and 6 years of industrial electrical work? Any advice would be helpful!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
If you want more than $30/hr. join the IBEW. As an apprentice you'll probably be making less for a couple of years, but after that, you'll be making more than $40/hr. There will be slow times where you won't be working for periods of time, and times where you'll be working OT quite a bit, depending on the local. The check I deposited today was for $1,780.

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you want more than $30/hr. join the IBEW. As an apprentice you'll probably be making less for a couple of years, but after that, you'll be making more than $40/hr. There will be slow times where you won't be working for periods of time, and times where you'll be working OT quite a bit, depending on the local. The check I deposited today was for $1,780.
You say this as if someone can go down to the hall and actual be considered for something other than "don't let the door hit you in the asx on the way out". Here, only those who have a father, grandfather, uncle, great uncle, father in-law, or brother in-law (in that order) are allowed to be considered for an apprenticeship. Exceptions to this rule are set asides for Women and Minorities and those who have political connections ex. Democratic Committeeman or higher Democrat. Here, Local-1, 2, 309 have been this way since at least the 1970's. Also, having a Contractor who wants to hire you and pay for your apprenticeship doesn't work either, ask me how I know (and how many times). Some of us have known for a long time; You don't go down to an ibew hall... you don't do that... that's not how business get done... you don't go down there... unless you already know the results before you get there... It's called Nepotism. Has something changed in the last 3-5yrs.?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. The Local IBEW 11 was actually and option. I called today and they are currently not taking any apprentices right now. They also told me I would have to take their training and courses even though I completed my schooling from a state accredited school. Sounds cool but not willing to go back to school and learn stuff I already know. I heard good and bad about union? what is your opinion on non union shops? Does the union have work for industrial work? I really don't want to be working residential. I want to get in the industrial and commercial field

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. The Local IBEW 11 was actually and option. I called today and they are currently not taking any apprentices right now. They also told me I would have to take their training and courses even though I completed my schooling from a state accredited school. Sounds cool but not willing to go back to school and learn stuff I already know. I heard good and bad about union? what is your opinion on non union shops? Does the union have work for industrial work? I really don't want to be working residential. I want to get in the industrial and commercial field

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You say this as if someone can go down to the hall and actual be considered for something other than "don't let the door hit you in the asx on the way out". Here, only those who have a father, grandfather, uncle, great uncle, father in-law, or brother in-law (in that order) are allowed to be considered for an apprenticeship. Exceptions to this rule are set asides for Women and Minorities and those who have political connections ex. Democratic Committeeman or higher Democrat. Here, Local-1, 2, 309 have been this way since at least the 1970's. Also, having a Contractor who wants to hire you and pay for your apprenticeship doesn't work either, ask me how I know (and how many times). Some of us have known for a long time; You don't go down to an ibew hall... you don't do that... that's not how business get done... you don't go down there... unless you already know the results before you get there... It's called Nepotism. Has something changed in the last 3-5yrs.?
Thanks for the response! I can see that your views on the Union are not so kind. lol I heard stuff about the union from many people in the past. How would I be able to get a job from an industrial contractor? most contractor do residential and commercial not so much industrial?

·
Registered
443 Posts
CA does not really confirm hours worked on the Jman applications. I know quite a few people who spent the majority of their apprenticeship working for a temp agency, not having a c-10 listed as an employer on the SSA wage and income transcript still get their hours approved by the state. As long as you have 4-5 years of work history for something that looks like it could be something at least somewhat construction related CA will approve your hours that you list in the application.

I do know that CA will only verify work history on a certain percentage of contractors license applications, 5-10%?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
CA does not really confirm hours worked on the Jman applications. I know quite a few people who spent the majority of their apprenticeship working for a temp agency, not having a c-10 listed as an employer on the SSA wage and income transcript still get their hours approved by the state. As long as you have 4-5 years of work history for something that looks like it could be something at least somewhat construction related CA will approve your hours that you list in the application.

I do know that CA will only verify work history on a certain percentage of contractors license applications, 5-10%?
They randomly pull peoples applications and do their due diligence, but not every application.

I know from first hand experience. After passing the test when they first implemented it, with close to 90%, they wouldn't issue me a license until they vetted my experience. Took them 6 months.

Yeah me.

Same thing happened with my C10. Only it took them 8 months to verify that. Took the test and passed in February, didn't get my license until August.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I have employees that pull close to that doing residential service work in the Central Valley. It isn't a union/non-union thing. It is; Are you working for a decent contractor who realizes people should be paid what they are worth and be compensated for their skills and the dangers of the career.

I've been IBEW and not. It all boils down to the guy that cuts the check. Plenty of **** contractors on both sides, just like plenty of good and **** employees on both sides.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Dam that is good news! I have been wondering if my work hours would be valid since I worked many hours on heavy trouble shooting and major electrical installations. When i do turn in the SSA proof, typically what is the wait time for the department of industrial relations to respond? Thanks again for your response!!

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Dam that is good news! I have been wondering if my work hours would be valid since I worked many hours on heavy trouble shooting and major electrical installations. When i do turn in the SSA proof, typically what is the wait time for the department of industrial relations to respond? Thanks again for your response!!
I think on their website they may have some timeframes, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They randomly pull peoples applications and do their due diligence, but not every application.

I know from first hand experience. After passing the test when they first implemented it, with close to 90%, they wouldn't issue me a license until they vetted my experience. Took them 6 months.

Yeah me.

Same thing happened with my C10. Only it took them 8 months to verify that. Took the test and passed in February, didn't get my license until August.
Well I'm just going to have to take a risk and send the SSA paper work and hope that i get credited for the hours worked. Thank you! I'll post a follow up once I turn in the paper work

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Also, as far as I know the certification isn't required if you do not work for a C10. So working directly for what you want to do, they really shouldn't care.

If you know your **** you know your ****, and a piece of paper is only useful for wiping your ass.

I've gone through a number of certified guys who's work and knowledge is less than abysmal.

Maybe work out a deal to get your foot in a door. Work a week or two for free after hours, weekends or ???, so they can see what you really know?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, as far as I know the certification isn't required if you do not work for a C10. So working directly for what you want to do, they really shouldn't care.

If you know your **** you know your ****, and a piece of paper is only useful for wiping your ass.

I've gone through a number of certified guys who's work and knowledge is less than abysmal.

Maybe work out a deal to get your foot in a door. Work a week or two for free after hours, weekends or ???, so they can see what you really know?
Yea that is true, actions speak more than words. I am currently applying with local electrical contractors near the OC/LA area. My profession technically does not require a certification but I would want to have it. Also I love my job but it can get boring and repetitive. I want a job that is always on the go and always keeps busy that is why I'm looking into industrial construction work. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Yea that is true, actions speak more than words. I am currently applying with local electrical contractors near the OC/LA area. My profession technically does not require a certification but I would want to have it. Also I love my job but it can get boring and repetitive. I want a job that is always on the go and always keeps busy that is why I'm looking into industrial construction work. Thanks for the advice
Not sure if your up for a move, but almost all work around one of my locations is Industrial work. A good amount is all union. The union is so short of people they put out ads on CL, the radio, etc....

One of the only unions in Cali that actually acts like they want to represent electricians, by actively pursuing them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not sure if your up for a move, but almost all work around one of my locations is Industrial work. A good amount is all union. The union is so short of people they put out ads on CL, the radio, etc....

One of the only unions in Cali that actually acts like they want to represent electricians, by actively pursuing them.
Where do you live/work? Unfortunately I have to stay within the LA/OC area, I'm purchasing a house next year around the greater LA area. What union are you referring to?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Commercial is pretty much all we do, right now I'm on another Amazon "fulfillment" center. Some industrial, such as power plant construction, no residential, no money in that. Did that "state accredited school" pay you for OJT? Due to the China virus, the union is on hold schooling/hiring wise at the time.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I have employees that pull close to that doing residential service work in the Central Valley. It isn't a union/non-union thing. It is; Are you working for a decent contractor who realizes people should be paid what they are worth and be compensated for their skills and the dangers of the career.

I've been IBEW and not. It all boils down to the guy that cuts the check. Plenty of **** contractors on both sides, just like plenty of good and **** employees on both sides.
I haven't seen any residential contractors that pay anything over $10/hr., or piece work (a buck a hole). I can't see any residential contractor paying $40/hr. and surviving. Do you pay your guys $40/hr. w/benes? What "dangers" are involved in residential work, not getting paid?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Commercial is pretty much all we do, right now I'm on another Amazon "fulfillment" center. Some industrial, such as power plant construction, no residential, no money in that. Did that "state accredited school" pay you for OJT? Due to the China virus, the union is on hold schooling/hiring wise at the time.
I need to follow up with the school but if I'm not mistaken the the school counts as partial OJT. As far as how much hours, im not not sure, I need to find out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.