Electrician Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up everyone! I have recently found myself in a predicament.. Let me start off by saying that I have worked as a trainee for about 3000 hours. I was than laid off and have been trying to get into the IBEW and WECA. I applied waited about 3 months and than tested waited about 6 months and than interviewed and have been waiting since. I scored all high 90's but could not wait anymore and took a job for 60k as an entry level maintenance mechanic at a water department for a city with full benefits and retirement. I don't regret my choice at all because of the starting pay and security. But I have invested a lot towards being an electrician and it is something I really want! My question is if I continue to take classes and keep my trainee card active will my hours working as a mechanic count towards my electrical hours for the state test? I ask this only because I do wiring every single day! I hook up pumps and motors and a lot of low voltage equipment & bend conduit. Doesn't this all count towards electrical work? I feel like this is a grey area and I have called the Department of Industrial Relations and they have not been able to answer stating " I dont know but leave your name and number and someone will contact you" I NEVER GET CONTACTED! Anyways, if anyone can answer I would greatly appreciate it. I also get fridays off so I may just work one day a week for 10 years if i have to. Thank You!

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
On your day off, go over to the JATC and find out from them if THEY would accept the hours.

This place isn't exactly a repository for the world's wisdom, in case you hadn't noticed.

At your current job, I doubt someone would be available to evaluate and sign off on the number of hours you are actually performing electrical work.

Also, taking classes is not the same as being in an accredited apprenticeship program, especially classes pertaining to water treatment.

·
Registered
31,170 Posts
On your day off, go over to the JATC and find out from them if THEY would accept the hours.

This place isn't exactly a repository for the world's wisdom, in case you hadn't noticed.

At your current job, I doubt someone would be available to evaluate and sign off on the number of hours you are actually performing electrical work.

Also, taking classes is not the same as being in an accredited apprenticeship program, especially classes pertaining to water treatment.
If it is not union I doubt they will. His real concern would be (at least around here) is with licensing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts