Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I did some wiring in San Francisco (20 years ago...?) I wasn't allowed to use romex I think because of earthquake codes).
When I did some work outside L.A. everything was THHN in plastic conduit (new construction/poured cement)

Have things changed? Would it be the same in San Jose? Or can they use romex for a rehab?

My sister is getting a new kitchen and I want to make some suggestions without sounding like a dumbass from the east coast...

;)

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
When I did some wiring in San Francisco (20 years ago...?) I wasn't allowed to use romex I think because of earthquake codes).
When I did some work outside L.A. everything was THHN in plastic conduit (new construction/poured cement)

Have things changed? Would it be the same in San Jose? Or can they use romex for a rehab?

My sister is getting a new kitchen and I want to make some suggestions without sounding like a dumbass from the east coast...

;)
You can use NM in San Jose. Just don't have any exposed, like in an unfinished garage.

Reactions: Greg Sparkovich

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
Wait.... Just a standard SFD right? Under 3 stories?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
SJ is pretty easy to work with and the inspectors are pretty nice guys. They should have no issues.

Tell them to run a spare conduit from the panel to the attic and from the panel to the crawl space, that will cover the future stuff.

Reactions: Greg Sparkovich
1 - 5 of 5 Posts