Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i just recently moved to SD,CA from NYC and I'm about to take my State Certification test which i just got cleared for. For anybody who doesn't know Its a 100 multiple choice question(nothing hands on, which sucks) i know its based on the NEC 2011 code book but i was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for a crash course book or study guide cheat sheet reference of some sort. obviously just reading the code is good but looking for something that will be a bit more specific to the test.
Any help would be appreciated.

thanks....

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Hello,
i just recently moved to SD,CA from NYC and I'm about to take my State Certification test which i just got cleared for. For anybody who doesn't know Its a 100 multiple choice question(nothing hands on, which sucks) i know its based on the NEC 2011 code book but i was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for a crash course book or study guide cheat sheet reference of some sort. obviously just reading the code is good but looking for something that will be a bit more specific to the test.

thanks....
That cert is a crock of baloney. I think there's different categories I don't have a clue on what to tell you to study for. I'm a California contractor I don't understand this cert stuff at all.

·
Premium Member
19,374 Posts
Hello,

thanks....
I would think that someone in 569, specifically the training director, would be the best source for any information about the exam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I haven't taken the test yet but my teacher has been stressing load Calc and wire sizing. Anything involving math is going to eat up a lot of your time. They also added an osha safety section, you can't study this from the codebook. It's no longer 70% overall is passing you have to score 70% on each section (a lot of guys are failing because of this). You can find info and a practice test at dir.ca.gov

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
If its the general electrician cert there is no math involved. I took it in 2012, and it was all multiple choice code questions. 1/3 of them were for movie theaters. If you can use an index in the code book, you will smoke that beeotch. Maybe they changed it since, but I haven't heard of anything yet. It was the easiest test I have ever taken. At least my NH journeyman's had load calcs and motor feeder sizing and whatnot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,

thanks....
there are cram courses that let you log onto a server, and just keep cycling thru practice questions, over and over, until your scores hang above 80%, then you go immediately into the test, and find out if all that dope you smoked in high school really did destroy your short term memory or not.

note: maybe that isn't what "doobz" stands for......

·
Registered
867 Posts
If its the general electrician cert there is no math involved. I took it in 2012, and it was all multiple choice code questions. 1/3 of them were for movie theaters. If you can use an index in the code book, you will smoke that beeotch. Maybe they changed it since, but I haven't heard of anything yet. It was the easiest test I have ever taken. At least my NH journeyman's had load calcs and motor feeder sizing and whatnot.
I did some reading before I took test and I believe they changed the test last year and its supposed to be harder.

I just took it 3 weeks ago and there were a few math calculations. Motor overcurrent and feeder sizing, sizing OCP for a water heater, conduit fill, series and parallel circuits.

I didn't have one movie theater question, there were a few fire alarm questions.

Here is the exam prep book I used to pass with a 91%

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572182555?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Don't spend too much energy practicing service calculations but be familiar with the section.

·
Registered
867 Posts
They also gave me 10 extra "experimental" questions that were mixed in the exam. They said they didn't count against your time or your score but there wasn't any time added to my exam and the clock never stopped. So I had to spend time hunting down poorly worded questions with no answer or weren't in the code book instead of having that time for the real questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts