Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in case any poor apprentices didn't know, both Ideal and Greenlee are offering significant discounts (25-35% off) on tools for the trade as a student discount. You may have to make supply houses do the research for you, but both companies are offering whole tool sets at decent prices. The only "gotcha" is that all tools are from the respective brand (ie. not Klein, Chan-nel-lok, no-dog, etc.) so you might get a couple chuckles from the old guys, but the deals aren't bad.

For example, the Greenlee "Journeyman's Tool Kit" contains:
20-pocket tool caddy
25' tape measure
no-dog-like level
2 each philips and flat head screwdrivers
tick tester
dikes, sidecutters, needle-nose pliers, chan-nel-lok-type pliers
hammer
romex splitter
two strippers, one with crimp jaws
for $170.79

Ideal has a similar kit with a voltage/continuity tester, conduit reamer, etc. for $360.11.

Greenlee's offer is good through March and Ideal hasn't specified an expiration date.

This isn't an advertisement for either company...and I know normal retail prices vary widely across the country...but someone might find a good use for his scrap wire proceeds. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
greenlee

I think im going to go with that Greenlee journeymans toolkit. Are Ideal & Klien tools really that much better.

Has anyone had any problems with Greenlee?

Also does anyone think the Journeymans kit is a little overkill for a first year app?

I think I will be working mostly on high end commercial jobs for my first couple years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think im going to go with that Greenlee journeymans toolkit. Are Ideal & Klien tools really that much better.

Has anyone had any problems with Greenlee?

Also does anyone think the Journeymans kit is a little overkill for a first year app?

I think I will be working mostly on high end commercial jobs for my first couple years.

In a lot of ways it's a matter of use and preference. It also depends on whether you want imported tools or not. Some swear by Klein (it's almost a generic term for pliers with sidecutters in some areas.) but is a Klein screwdriver better than a Craftsman? Are Klein strippers better than ideal? With the exception of the handles on the strippers and nothing on the screwdrivers, they look and feel like they were made in the same factory on the same dies.

Klein, Ideal, and Greenlee are all reputable companies. Shop around and actually feel the tools before you make a decision.

As for the toolkit being overkill, I think calling it a "journeyman's" kit is a bit wrong. If I didn't add a few things to that list, I'd be really inconvenienced in my day-to-day work. It's perfectly suitable for an apprentice just starting out.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
but is a Klein screwdriver better than a Craftsman?
IMO yes. I've used both, and I much prefer Klien, but that's a personal thing.

As for the toolkit being overkill, I think calling it a "journeyman's" kit is a bit wrong. If I didn't add a few things to that list, I'd be really inconvenienced in my day-to-day work. It's perfectly suitable for an apprentice just starting out.
Agree completely. I would call that an "Apprentice" tool kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought everything separate that is in that kit and probably paid a lot more.. oh well

btw lowes gave me a discount on tools when I said I was a student and showed an id. So did the local lumberyard/hardware store.

Whenever you buy a tool just ask, it doesn't hurt

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have already taken advantage of the discount. I bought the Ideal UF cable strippers for $35. It works wonders. One squeeze and *pop* the wire is striped.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm buying all the tools that a school I was looking into going to requires and because they're pretty expensive - especially when buying them all at once - I got some of the cheaper brands.

I got a Commercial Electric set at Home De$pot for $30 with Lineman's, dikes, 4 screwdrivers, stripper, level, saw, pouch, etc. Not a bad deal. I like all the pliers, but, the screwdrivers are junk (1st screw turned with the #2 Phillips caved them in) and the tool pouch is kinda unusable - the pockets are too shallow. It would be nice to have a sheath for the sword they give you.

It stinks, but there's no substitute for the good (read: expensive) stuff.

But check this out - Home Depot will match and then give 10% off of anything you find cheaper at another retailer. Pretty much all Klein hand tools are cheaper at Sears, so.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts