Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really do to much camera work but I am going to give it a shot. I need to rough in some offices with a drywall(double 5/8) ceiling. Should I just stub the wire out or will it be easier to put a box. I like the box idea but I don't want to screw my self at finish.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I don't really do to much camera work but I am going to give it a shot. I need to rough in some offices with a drywall(double 5/8) ceiling.
Thanks
I'm in Canada but the double drywall at 5/8 raises a flag for me. Fire Stop. I would do some checking on that about penetrating it.

A regular metal box is ok here but a pot light I need to build a double drywall enclosure maintaining the fire rating.

I would not be destroying the ceiling while I fish in stuff.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm in Canada but the double drywall at 5/8 raises a flag for me. Fire Stop. I would do some checking on that about penetrating it.

A regular metal box is ok here but a pot light I need to build a double drywall enclosure maintaining the fire rating.

I would not be destroying the ceiling while I fish in stuff.
A metal octagon box should be small enough to go into a rated cieling in Canada

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am not worried about the ceiling rating. Just about the camera mounting.
Thanks for the replies. As of right now I may just mount a box.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I have bought from this company before.. they have a great selection and Tech Support in English you can understand...

If you are going to get into CCTV... I suggest you get power supply couplings that are either male or female ends...

http://www.2mcctv.com/

http://www.2mcctv.com/power-leads/

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Double 5/8" wall would be a fire rated wall around here.

I would use a Deep cut in box (single gang) and 1/2" flex to above ceiling and train it out of wall(if sheet rock not up)

·
Fluke Skywalker
2,383 Posts
CADPoint said:
Double 5/8" wall would be a fire rated wall around here.

I would use a Deep cut in box (single gang) and 1/2" flex to above ceiling and train it out of wall(if sheet rock not up)
If it is a rated assembly the opening cannot be greater than 16"sq and the box must be mounted to framing.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I never do any camera work so I'm curious, what do you run for wire if you don't know what kind of camera?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If this is truely a security issues it should be well defined if not detailed for the required obtainable information which should be available from somebody.

I've been burned on security and camera's when the over seer didn't realize that security is not on a power plan. The old what is this never registered!

Ask Questions, in the end; it's more of going and finding out what the clients application is then what you think they might need, beleive me!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I personally would do a box. It's clean assuming you don't use crap from newegg, tiger direct, or costco. Get real stuff like Speco, Pelco, Axis, or at least Digital Watchdog or Honeywell. Don't use the true consumer stuff. Make sure to use a somewhat known brand. Most of those domes will mount to a single gang box.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
RJ45 plug on the the cable then drywall screw the camera to the ceiling, they dont weigh much. Get out of there and get paid.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never do any camera work so I'm curious, what do you run for wire if you don't know what kind of camera?[/QU

I am going to run a siamese cable. RG59 and 18-2 for power. I assume that will do anything I need.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I personally would do a box. It's clean assuming you don't use crap from newegg, tiger direct, or costco. Get real stuff like Speco, Pelco, Axis, or at least Digital Watchdog or Honeywell. Don't use the true consumer stuff. Make sure to use a somewhat known brand. Most of those domes will mount to a single gang box.
I was thinking of a 4 square with round p ring.???

·
Bandwidth Conservator
842 Posts
I never do any camera work so I'm curious, what do you run for wire if you don't know what kind of camera?[/QU

I am going to run a siamese cable. RG59 and 18-2 for power. I assume that will do anything I need.

I would throw 5 or 6 cats in with each run. Just to be sure.
:laughing:

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have run wires for a few banks and they always made me use the siamese cable. The cat 5 thing to me is new.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I have run wires for a few banks and they always made me use the siamese cable. The cat 5 thing to me is new.
I would buy the cameras first or check the specs before running wire..

Running both types is a waste of time and working blind is foolish..

·
The Accidental Welder
1,162 Posts
Arlington, if you just want to stub for now:

FL430 Cam-Light box

8161TR Security camera mounting box

1 - 20 of 36 Posts