Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of companies that are hiring 4th year electricians for camp/loa work in BC/AB/SK? Applied at the union but they like to take there time and I hate not working. Thanks guys Have already tried Studon, Pyramid, MEC, Flint, Techmation, Tarpon, pronghorn.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Applied to specific jobs and/or general application either through email or through company websites. Personally contacted a couple of HR people that I know. I've worked for pyramid and studon before but they don't have much work right now. Been applying since beginning of December.

·
Estwing magic
27,399 Posts
There was a Christmas break. It's bloody cold outside. It's probably temporary.

Also, people will disagree with me but I think you're going to see a slowdown in Alberta. Emigration, immigration and the inability to get the product to market all add up - we are closer to the tipping point than you may think.

Projects have been put on hold. The Koreans want to get out of Harvest. Word is that the big guys like CNRL and Devon are preparing to take over the little guys like Connacher, etc. Uncertainty is going to affect the job market.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
99cents said:
There was a Christmas break. It's bloody cold outside. It's probably temporary. Also, people will disagree with me but I think you're going to see a slowdown in Alberta. Emigration, immigration and the inability to get the product to market all add up - we are closer to the tipping point than you may think. Projects have been put on hold. The Koreans want to get out of Harvest. Word is that the big guys like CNRL and Devon are preparing to take over the little guys like Connacher, etc. Uncertainty is going to affect the job market.
Seems like that is happening. An old foreman of mine was at Harvest and they go shut down a week before Christmas and another Korean site he was on shut down earlier this year too.

·
Estwing magic
27,399 Posts
Seems like that is happening. An old foreman of mine was at Harvest and they go shut down a week before Christmas and another Korean site he was on shut down earlier this year too.
Harvest has been a money pit. KNOC is state owned and it seems like it has become a little bit of a political issue back home. I think we are going to see a lot of shuffling with the SAGD's in the next couple of years.

·
Estwing magic
27,399 Posts
You're probably also stuck in that 4th year trap. You're a very expensive apprentice. You might have to take whatever you can get just to get your hours in. I doubt if 424 will be much good. There has never seemed to be a lot of calls for 4th years out of that hall.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
99cents said:
You're probably also stuck in that 4th year trap. You're a very expensive apprentice. You might have to take whatever you can get just to get your hours in. I doubt if 424 will be much good. There has never seemed to be a lot of calls for 4th years out of that hall.
I'm out of 993

·
Registered
27 Posts
BlackHowling said:
Anyone know of companies that are hiring 4th year electricians for camp/loa work in BC/AB/SK? Applied at the union but they like to take there time and I hate not working. Thanks guys Have already tried Studon, Pyramid, MEC, Flint, Techmation, Tarpon, pronghorn.
Callisto construction is hiring for camp work. I just fired resumes off to all those companies you mentioned last week. Hopefully hiring picks up. Good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Harvest has been a money pit. KNOC is state owned and it seems like it has become a little bit of a political issue back home. I think we are going to see a lot of shuffling with the SAGD's in the next couple of years.
Sunshine shut down "temporarily" in August. Very few camp jobs to come by. But, having said that, it was the christmas break and no one was posting anyting.

Definitely expensive. Tarpon is hiring out of town. Definitely.

Where are you based right now? Will you live in Edmonton/nisku. Lots of stuff there in mod yards.

Try Ledcor, FT Services

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.