Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally don't, a campground I do work at one of the tenants wants to hardwire his camper into a subpanel he has for a Florida room/ screen porch. I advised against it. The only reason I could think of was they are required to be plugged in for accessibility and in case of emergency the camper needs to be moved quickly and in this case its on the Jersey shore 50yds from water so hurricanes are an issue. the guy is a cabinet builder that thinks he is an electrician that don't listen to anything I have to say. I need the code to back me up on this one lol. I wouldn't even deal with him but my uncle owns the campground.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not a lot if experience in this area but if I read it correctly 551.46 in the 2011 code says only cords are allowed, but can be permanently connected to the camper panel board or be seperable using a flanged inlet.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Hardwiring changes the legal designation from temporary/portable/transportable to permanent. Notwithstanding the fact that a permanently connected camper couldn't be disconnected from a "permanent" power source, the fact that it cannot be "readily" disconnected is where most likely building and zoning codes are violated.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I personally don't, a campground I do work at one of the tenants wants to hardwire his camper into a subpanel he has for a Florida room/ screen porch.
I'm confused by this statement. Are you saying that this tenant's RV is parked on a site that doesn't already have power, and that the closest power is in a subpanel in/on one of the campsite's buildings?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Barjack there is a power,source for the camper I ran him a 40ft line underground to his camper with the appropiate plug. Which was a waste because He then built is screen porch with a sub panel being fed from the wp panel under the meter. He cut the end of his camper plug off and put it in his sub panel. Very sloppy and took no regards to me telling him to seperate grounds,and neutrals in the sub panel or,any other pointers I gave him. I hope this helps

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.