Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, after a few months of the welders in my shop begging me to, I finally got permission to troubleshoot a problem(bear in mind, they didn't hire me as an electrician, though I hold a journeyman card).

The problem:

Quite often the welders will be welding or doing whatever and touch various metal objects and catch a nice little bite. Apparently this has been going on for a few years.

The area:

4 welders, 2 tig welding machines, 4 mig welding machines. dirty shop. 240/120v 3 phase power in the shop. the welding machines are set at 230v.

Additional Info:

I took a multimeter and checked voltage on some of the objects shocking them. I received anywhere from 65v to 80v.

So, can you guess at why these guys are getting shocked?

I have to admit that once I looked into and found out why, I laughed a little.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this is what occurred:

They have 3 phase power but the welding machines only use two phases. Someone decided to hook the ground into one of the phases on the cord cap end, instead of the ground, but on the welder side, they hooked it to the ground lug. They did this on both tig machines. After simply moving the ground to the right spot, no more shocks. I felt sorry for the welders because they have been dealing with this, according to them, for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.