Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Symbol

I'm trying to determine if this is an actual short or an intentional thing.

There are two fuses in my home's fusebox that both seem to control the same circuit. Only one of them can be on at a time. When we try to turn on both, the opposite fuse breaks. I've tested all of the related switches and plugs and can't find anywhere that the two circuits are wired together. I noticed this symbol on the label for circuit 20 but I have no idea what it means and a google search wasn't helpful.

Can any of you identify it?

Should both of these fuses be able to be turned on at the same time?

Fuse Box

·
Premium Member
19,985 Posts
Electricians have symbols to indicate exactly how and elecrtrical circuit is used.
The O is our symbol for a light bulb
The vertical tally marks indicate exactly how many 10 amp or 1200 watt rated utilization outlets are on that circuit.

A trained electrical professional can tell at a quick glance that the circuit has one lighting outlet and two 1200 watt rated utilization outlets.

If these guys tell you something different it is only due to the above information being our secrete symbols to tell eachother about the circuit and not for the general public to use.

Kind of like the symbols hobos use to let others know about a specific place.

&&&

The Red Chinese.

·
Premium Member
19,985 Posts

Symbol

I'm trying to determine if this is an actual short or an intentional thing.

There are two fuses in my home's fusebox that both seem to control the same circuit. Only one of them can be on at a time. When we try to turn on both, the opposite fuse breaks. I've tested all of the related switches and plugs and can't find anywhere that the two circuits are wired together. I noticed this symbol on the label for circuit 20 but I have no idea what it means and a google search wasn't helpful.

Can any of you identify it?

Should both of these fuses be able to be turned on at the same time?

Fuse Box
Seriously,
Those two circuits are producing a dead short.
You need to turn both of them off and call a licensed contractor to evaluate the problem.
Problems like this can directly cause a fire or electrocution death.
Don't try to change anything before calling someone out. You could unintentionally mask a serious problem.
Again. Turn both of those breakers and call a good solid licensed electrical contractor to have a look.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,303 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.