Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Depends on what the area is classified as. If this is someone running it out of a home ok, but most likely if its a commercially zoned building with steel framing then MC or conduit.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Lol. Sure you can but the ahj may not be amused.

This is funny because I just bid a brewery at 71k and I heard the guy they are considering bid at 54. First thing I thought was "wtf did he bid using romex"

I did a few brewerys, I'm not so sure how the romex would fly in the class2 div 2areas. I guess you could if it was concealed in the wall in the right class structure. They are usually spec'd emt with grc in the grain room.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,861 Posts
Depends on what the area is classified as. If this is someone running it out of a home ok, but most likely if its a commercially zoned building with steel framing then MC or conduit.
Commercial zoning and steel framing have nothing to do with whether using romex is allowed or not unless there are local amends to the nec in that area.

Most likely it is allowable. Most likely I would use another method.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Commercial zoning and steel framing have nothing to do with whether using romex is allowed or not unless there are local amends to the nec in that area.

Most likely it is allowable. Most likely I would use another method.

I was referring to local amendments mostly. In my area steel studs automatically means no romex. Same with commercial where the fire codes apply.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Johnpbeau said:
Can you use romex to wire a brewery?[/QUOTE. Depending on the size and occupancy of it , I would say maybe parts o it can be wired in NM , but certainly not all of it . Assuming it's a new facility or a remodel , you'd have to be working off of engineered and approved drawings with spec.'s outlining the wiring methods that are allowed for that particular job . Nobody bids a brewery flying by the seat of their pants , hoping they can use Romex , or at least anyone that wants to stay in business past that job , lol ! I've never seen new Romex being installed in My past 20 years in commercial and industrial , unless it was for temporary power and lighting . That doesn't mean it isn't legal , but it's never spec.'d .

·
Registered
10 Posts
wouldn use romex to wire my own doghouse. lots os other ways to get it done. electrical work shouldnt b done cheap. or jacklegged

1 - 17 of 17 Posts