Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if my Canadian certificate would be accepted in the USA...I have heard of Canadian electricians with a red seal being appointed foreman at some companies in Florida without having to re-write the exam. Not exactly sure how the licencing system works in the US...I was thinking of moving in the future, getting tired of the snow here! Also since I am an IBEW member in the ICI sector as a Journeyman Wireman would the membership transfer? I am going to ask my local but just wanted to get some opinions from you guys! Thanks in advance!:thumbup:

·
Semi-Retired
1,289 Posts
Not exactly sure how the licencing system works in the US...
I was just wondering if my Canadian certificate would be accepted in the USA...
I have heard of Canadian electricians with a red seal being appointed foreman at some companies in Florida without having to re-write the exam.

Also since I am an IBEW member in the ICI sector as a Journeyman Wireman would the membership transfer?

I am going to ask my local but just wanted to get some opinions from you guys! Thanks in advance!
Each of the 50 states (and many counties) run their own show wrt licensing for JW and Master and EC. Some states reciprocate with some other states but it is a hodge podge and requires specific investigation. This also applies to the *many* IBEW locals and their rules for working in their territory.

Florida doesn't have JW licensing.
If your friend has a valid US work visa etc he could work there as a JW or even foreman; but it probably wasn't a union shop.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.