Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a CFAA fire alarm technician certification? I'm planning to start CFAA Course 1 by correspondence.

I already do a lot of fire alarm where I work. For the past year maybe 75% of my work has been building, troubleshooting and commissioning F/A systems. I'm naturally inclined to troubleshooting and I figure even though I don't want to be pigeonholed as "the fire alarm guy" everywhere I go, if this pattern keeps up I may as well go legit, get some paper credentials and learn a little more about it all. I work for a company which is a corporate CFAA member and they might be willing to help me out with paying for it but I haven't asked yet.

Does anyone know if they will exempt a third year apprentice from Course 3, the "basic electricity" course? Or do you have to be a journeyman?

If I don't work for an equipment manufacturer like Notifier or whoever, going around doing verifications, what else does this ticket allow me to do?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There's nothing wrong with getting extra credentials. Good for you.

As far as getting exempted from "basic electricity", you may have to be a JM. Saying that, you could complete Course 1, get your C of Q, then ask to be exempted from Course 2,3&4. In that case you'll only need to do Course 5. You can email them at the CFAA website for further information.

You're not just limited to working for a FA manufacturer. Some Fire Safety company's are looking for Electrical JM/CFAA Tech's for installation's, which a CFAA only Technician's can't do.

Hope that help's and Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's nothing wrong with getting extra credentials. Good for you.

As far as getting exempted from "basic electricity", you may have to be a JM. Saying that, you could complete Course 1, get your C of Q, then ask to be exempted from Course 2,3&4. In that case you'll only need to do Course 5. You can email them at the CFAA website for further information.

You're not just limited to working for a FA manufacturer. Some Fire Safety company's are looking for Electrical JM/CFAA Tech's for installation's, which a CFAA only Technician's can't do.

Hope that help's and Good Luck!
Thanks, I'm off tomorrow and planning to call them. Are you a CFAA tech?

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Problem and yes I am a registered CFAA tech, but not doing much Fire Alarm nowadays.

I just want to include that if you're looking for a job as a maintenance electrician in most govn't institutions, they ask for the CFAA card. Versitility is a nice thing to have!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.