Electrician Talk banner

Cant come to work, car updating

1629 Views 34 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  acro
I see new work excuses coming.

On Wednesday we had a birthday party, my sister-in-law and her family had to be picked up. Their brand new Tesla Y, not even 2 months old had to be towed. Apparently overnight it Started an automatic Update and the car will not start now.. After talking with multiple Tesla techs over the phone and then trying to do push updates via the Internet. It never completed the update but it shows it did, and so they can't get it to do anything. They eventually had to have the car towed so they could work on it in person.

I highly recommended that he turn off all automatic updates if that feature is possible.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,622 Posts
Is this their primary vehicle, or only vehicle?

· Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,921 Posts
Next thing you know Power Tools will need to be activated and updated before anyone can use them.
The national registry will be available to anyone who wants to buy tools on the street.

Oh wait, we’ve already started doing that with block chain encryption.

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
Next thing you know Power Tools will need to be activated and updated before anyone can use them.
The national registry will be available to anyone who wants to buy tools on the street.

Oh wait, we’ve already started doing that with block chain encryption.
You mentioned power tools having to be online activated.
About 10 years ago I hooked up a brand new printing press. It was about 80 feet long and cost $$$?. It had all the whistles and bells. About a year later I got a call it stopped working and can I take a look. I spent several hours checking all the safeties and fuses. Nothing. I called the service number and they asked if the customer made his lease payment. No he did not. He made his payment by credit card and the press started up. I guess they can do that with cars now. Don't make a payment and they shut it down and say they have to bring it to the shop which is code for repossess.

· Registered
Industrial Electrician, Class A
3,843 Posts

· Registered
Sub transient reactance X”d worshiper.
639 Posts
John Deere and The American Farm Bureau Federation have signed an MOA so that farmers can work on their equipment but of course it doesn't go far enough yet but it's a start.

Tim.
This is why my tractor of choice is Massy Ferguson.

You can work on it with out Big Brother beating down your door.

When he should be passing you a beer, in between wrench pulls.

· Electrical Contractor
6,000 Posts
Yes, they can shut down your car if you miss a payment. The guy killed the battery, so I gave him a boost and no matter what, no go.
Turns out he missed his lease payment so they shut the car off.

· Registered
Electrical Contractor
626 Posts
I used to know a guy who had really bad credit. His vehicle had a keypad/screen mounted on the dash that would require a code that he would get when he made his payments. Otherwise it would stop working after his next payment was due/missed. This was about 14 years ago.

· Registered
Problem solver
465 Posts
I see new work excuses coming.

On Wednesday we had a birthday party, my sister-in-law and her family had to be picked up. Their brand new Tesla Y, not even 2 months old had to be towed. Apparently overnight it Started an automatic Update and the car will not start now.. After talking with multiple Tesla techs over the phone and then trying to do push updates via the Internet. It never completed the update but it shows it did, and so they can't get it to do anything. They eventually had to have the car towed so they could work on it in person.

I highly recommended that he turn off all automatic updates if that feature is possible.
Comfort Motor vehicle Window Automotive exterior Vehicle door

· Light Bender
plumber
7,520 Posts
This is not only an EV problem. New Gasoline cars are also run by many onboard computers that control everything. They can also be disabled remotely.
And for the tractors, even if you get permission to work on them yourself, you are limited on what can be fixed because they are also ran using multiple onboard computers.

Wife had a Dodge journey that would shut down on its own while driving on the highway. Scared the chit out of her a few times. After many trips to the dealer, Dodge updated the computer, didn’t fix it completely so we sold it.

· Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,622 Posts
Currently their only car. They normally have two but both vehicle leases ended within a month of each other and their second tesla on order is behind on delivery date. ...........
I'm surprised they didn't purchase those lease vehicles. I understand it's a money making transaction for those lucky enough to have leased one.

· Can't Remember
11,520 Posts
The comment that they are computers on wheels is an apt one. So far, we haven’t had any trouble with our model 3. It does its updates automatically. I’d agree the updates are probably worthwhile.

· Registered
Electrician
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The comment that they are computers on wheels is an apt one. So far, we haven’t had any trouble with our model 3. It does its updates automatically. I’d agree the updates are probably worthwhile.
If I ever had the desire to own a car that needed regular updates I would want to choose to do the updates at a time that is convenient for me that wouldn't be an issue if their was an error.

Are a lot of these updates security updates? Pardon my ignorance as I don't really know what else could NEED updates on a regular basis.

· Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
9,336 Posts
Just the way I think ... They came up with yet another way to mine your data, driving habits, where you go etc ... just like most Windows updates.

They can record pretty much everything, how fast you drive, accelerate,brake etc.
Just like the Internet, there is no such thing as privacy.

The next thing will be denying warranty repairs because of your driving data

· Premium Member
915 Posts
Somewhat relevant... This happened 15 years ago to the video game industry when the consoles became dependant on software updates to function. You can play Pong or Mario in literally seconds of booting up, but today's games can have you waiting an hour for software updates. This slowly manifested itself as a normal process just to use the product, and consumers just accepted it for the improvements each update brought. I left the hobby when you needed to lease the right to use the service quarterly or monthly.

It seems vehicles are next?

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
Somewhat relevant... This happened 15 years ago to the video game industry when the consoles became dependant on software updates to function. You can play Pong or Mario in literally seconds of booting up, but today's games can have you waiting an hour for software updates. This slowly manifested itself as a normal process just to use the product, and consumers just accepted it for the improvements each update brought. I left the hobby when you needed to lease the right to use the service quarterly or monthly.

It seems vehicles are next?
Thanks for telling us about the games. My daughter gave me a PS 4 because they got the new and improved one. Every time I turn it on it takes about 30 minutes to start up. I think I am doing something wrong but then it starts up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts